Internet Explorer users 'have below-average IQ'

thanatoid

98 Guy said:
webster72n wrote:

What webster wrote can't really be figured out because of
the posting style he uses.

He does not appear to use quoting characters (such as ">")
to indicate the material he's quoting. Because he doesn't
do that, I can't figure out where hemorroid's post ends and
his begins.

If you insist on using that very clever mod of my nick, at least
learn to spell it right.

N. Miller

What webster wrote can't really be figured out because of the posting
style he uses.

He does not appear to use quoting characters (such as ">") to indicate
the material he's quoting. Because he doesn't do that, I can't figure
out where hemorroid's post ends and his begins.

He is using a lame newsreader:

Somewhere, among the recent updates, the programmers borked its ability to
properly quote news articles. Beyond the breakage in the original MS Outlook
Express, that is. Then they decided to call their breakage a, "feature", and
left it alone.

WLM can't quote properly because the programmers gave up trying to make it
work right.

9

98 Guy

N. Miller said:
He is using a lame newsreader:

WLM can't quote properly because the programmers gave up trying
to make it work right.

That's in keeping with Microsoft's motto:

"If it works, it's not complicated enough"

Webster will probably come back and defend his choice in news reader,
regardless how borken it is.

Google-groupers all across usenet are doing the same (google's web
interface to usenet seems to have stopped working for the better part of
this last week - might still be that way for all I know).

webster72n

"98 Guy" wrote in message
N. Miller said:
He is using a lame newsreader:

WLM can't quote properly because the programmers gave up trying
to make it work right.

That's in keeping with Microsoft's motto:

"If it works, it's not complicated enough"

Webster will probably come back and defend his choice in news reader,
regardless how borken it is.

I don't recall ever defending it, I simply use it because it's there
and
of my failure in successfully trying other news readers.
If its offending you so much, I can do without it.
Have a nice day.

Harry.

webster72n said:
I don't recall ever defending it,

I said you'd *probably come back here* and defend the crippled news
reader known as Windoze Live Mail. I didn't say that you DID defend it.

But it looks like it's such a good news reader, that it takes you a
month to discover when someone posts a reply to your post. So I don't
expect to see you again until October.
I simply use it because it's there and of my failure in
successfully trying other news readers.

You are either a boob or you haven't tried very hard.

I use Netscape Communicator 4.79 for reading news. It can be downloaded
from here:

http://downloads.5star-network.com/Internet/cc32d478.exe

Here's what the user-interface looks like:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/19/2010382/navigator.gif

Very fast and efficient and organized way to read and post to usenet.

A huge advantage of using a usenet client running on your own computer
is that a copy of every post you make is stored locally on your own
system - exactly the same way that copies of e-mail you send are stored
locally in a "sent" folder. When you want to search for something you
posted in the past, it's much faster to search your own local sent
folder than to use Google's incredibly broken usenet search interface to
search their usenet archive.

9

98 Guy

webster72n wrote in a poorly-formatted usenet post:
Sorry, but my system tells me that this is an incorrect link.

Yes, that link doesn't seem to work.

Try this:

ftp://ftp.ufpr.br/Internet/Browser/Netscape478/cc32d478.exe
Yet, not to worry, I have it already on my machine, except for the
fact that I have to set it up and provide my personal information,
which is where I stalled...

Do you realize that when-ever a piece of software wants your personal
information - that you can lie and give it fake info?

If it asks for a name, etc, then give it webster72n.

If you don't want to use it for e-mail, then don't. You don't have to
enter any server info for e-mail (SMTP). Just usenet (NNTP).

N. Miller

Sorry, but my system tells me that this is an incorrect link.
Yet, not to worry, I have it already on my machine, except for the
fact that I have to set it up and provide my personal information,
which is where I stalled...

What personal information did Netscap Navigator require of you? I haven't
used 4.79 since I moved up from Windows ME to Windows XP. I recall entering
completely bogus personal information in some early web browser I used. But
I am reasonably certain that step was optional, and that I used the bogus
information to mess with the heads of the data miners.

However, anybody using Windows Live Mail Version 2011 has the ability to run
SeaMonkey 2.3.3, the latest version of the browser suite which most closely
resembles Netscape Navigator 4.79.

webster72n

98 said:
webster72n wrote in a poorly-formatted usenet post:

Yes, that link doesn't seem to work.

Try this:

ftp://ftp.ufpr.br/Internet/Browser/Netscape478/cc32d478.exe

Do you realize that when-ever a piece of software wants your personal
information - that you can lie and give it fake info?

If it asks for a name, etc, then give it webster72n.

If you don't want to use it for e-mail, then don't. You don't have to
enter any server info for e-mail (SMTP). Just usenet (NNTP).

Thank you for your extensive help and support, 98 Guy.
I preferred N. Miller's suggestion and used SeaMonkey instead of the
Netscape Communicator, because it was interfering with my IE9.
Seems as if I am in business.

Harry.

webster72n

N. Miller said:
What personal information did Netscap Navigator require of you? I haven't
used 4.79 since I moved up from Windows ME to Windows XP. I recall entering
completely bogus personal information in some early web browser I used. But
I am reasonably certain that step was optional, and that I used the bogus
information to mess with the heads of the data miners.

However, anybody using Windows Live Mail Version 2011 has the ability to run
SeaMonkey 2.3.3, the latest version of the browser suite which most closely
resembles Netscape Navigator 4.79.

Thanks Norman, it worked for me without a hitch.

Harry.

9

98 Guy

webster72n said:
Thank you for your extensive help and support, 98 Guy.

Thankyou for posting a much better formatted message.
I preferred N. Miller's suggestion and used SeaMonkey instead of
the Netscape Communicator, because it was interfering with my IE9.

IE9?

I take it that you are not running Windows 98 on the PC in question
then.

I believe that IE9 will run only on Vista or Seven.

N. Miller

webster72n wrote:
Thankyou for posting a much better formatted message.

He didn't use Windows Live Mail for that article.
IE9?

I take it that you are not running Windows 98 on the PC in question
then.

I believe that IE9 will run only on Vista or Seven.

Indeed. Neither will Windows Live Mail run on anything less than Windows XP;
and he was using WLM 2011, which will only run on Windows Vista, or Windows
7.

webster72n

98 said:
Thankyou for posting a much better formatted message.

IE9?

I take it that you are not running Windows 98 on the PC in question
then.

I believe that IE9 will run only on Vista or Seven.

Vista is right.
I only visited this group because of my interest in the discussions.
My back-up PC has Windows ME on it, which I personally like better than
Windows 98. But that's a whole different story.
May peace be with you, brother.

MotoFox

"t looks like it's such a good news reader, that it takes you a
month to discover when someone posts a reply to your post. So I don't
expect to see you again until October."

So now you know why they called it "Eternal September". ;o)

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

I just tell everybody to run Linux, myself.

The "users are idiots and are confused by functionality" approach of
Apple is a disease. If you design your OS for idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use a Macintosh, because in striving to be so simple,
they simply can't do what I need them to do.

Please, just tell everybody to go to Linux.

N. Miller

So now you know why they called it "Eternal September". ;o)

Except that "Eternal-September" isn't a "newsreader". And Webster72n isn't
using the "Eternal-September" news server.

MotoFox

Except that *wasn't* intended to be a plug for everyone's favourite news
server. Basically you can thank Amerika Offline for throwing Usenet into
the vast state of humiliation it's currently in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_September_that_never_ended

I was trying to go for black comedy, but I guess CenturyQ must be
filtering humour now.

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

I just tell everybody to run Linux, myself.

The "users are idiots and are confused by functionality" approach of
Apple is a disease. If you design your OS for idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use a Macintosh, because in striving to be so simple,
they simply can't do what I need them to do.

Please, just tell everybody to go to Linux.

MotoFox

Oh, and although AOffL dropped Usenet access from its "service" six
years ago, you can also thank *gle Groups for continuing it. Forgot to
mention that.

--
MotoFox
Originator of the word "enubulous"

I just tell everybody to run Linux, myself.

The "users are idiots and are confused by functionality" approach of
Apple is a disease. If you design your OS for idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use a Macintosh, because in striving to be so simple,
they simply can't do what I need them to do.

Please, just tell everybody to go to Linux.

N. Miller

Except that *wasn't* intended to be a plug for everyone's favourite news
server.

Yet the juxtaposition of your followup to the comment about the newsreader
allowed for an alternate interpretation.
Basically you can thank Amerika Offline for throwing Usenet into
the vast state of humiliation it's currently in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_September_that_never_ended

I am familar with that.
I was trying to go for black comedy, but I guess CenturyQ must be
filtering humour now.

You must be a Qwest user who was "Borged" into the CenturyLink hive?

MotoFox

"You must be a Qwest user who was "Borged" into the CenturyLink hive?"

Uh huh.

And I've a hunch (fear) that the proposed Area Code 564, that Qwest were
so reluctant to put into place, will come closer to becoming reality if
the CenturyBorg have their way with the NANPA. I mean, some of us are
still shaking from the whole 206/360 fiasco! Now they want to make us
dial ten digits yet!

--
[...]

BTDTGTTS. My phone company (Pacific Bell) was Borged by SBC in 1996. My area
code was changed from 916 to 530. SBC went on to Borg AT&T and Bellsouth;
absorbing the AT&T brand in the process. But I did recently (June 15, 2011)
fire AT&T; hired Sonic.net, LLC in their place. All the stuff I was paying
AT&T over $100 a month for (and more) for just $48.97 a month, or so. And my
DSL speed went from 2,500 kb/s to 4,800 kb/s (sometimes, on a good day, even
5,000 kb/s).