"Internet Explorer Has Encountered a Problem and Has to Close..."

Don Varnau

Hi,
This is symptomatic of a malware problem (adware, spyware, parasite,
hijacker, etc.)

Start by downloading and running CWShredder and Ad-aware.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"driller" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I had the "about:blank" IE hi jacker virus, but got rid of all the symptoms
using Adware Away. After using about every available piece of software and
procedure for almost 24 hours!

This is the only symptom left. Similar actions are described in the
knowledge base, but are associated with other dll's. This one is associated
with kernel32.dll.

I can live with this. If I type in "xxx.net" or "xxx.com" or "www.xxx.com",
it will go to the site. But if I type in "xxx" only the symptom appears. I
have used a feature in Microsoft AntiSpyware to restore the defaults in IE,
but the problem still occurs.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

"driller" wrote in message
I get this message when I try to search from the address bar

Jon Kennedy

Check your registry for these values:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"
"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\UrlTemplate]
"1"="www.%s.com"
"2"="www.%s.org"
"3"="www.%s.net"
"4"="www.%s.edu"