Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by ss, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. ss

    ss Guest

    Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP

    I recently Upgraded to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98 (First
    Edition). Most everything went smoothly except for my web access. I use a
    fiber optic cable modem and LAN. I've used this for 2+ years under Win98
    with no problem. My current problem is that when I log onto the internet
    everything works well for about 5 minutes. Then my web browser stops
    functioning and I get the dreaded "cannot connect to this..." page.
    Interestingly enough I still have internet access because I can ping my ISP
    without difficulty. Once I reboot I'm good for another 3 to 5 minutes
    before my browser hangs up. All other programs on the computer work fine
    and don't hang up. I tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0 from the
    Microsoft web site but receive the message: "A newer version is already
    installed." Then, the install program terminates.

    I think the problem is in the XP program.

    What is the experience in running the Windows XP Pro upgrade program again?
    I hate to do this but unless I get some good advice I may have to.

    All suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Sal <>

    Saturday, July 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

    ss, Jul 3, 2004

  2. ss

    Quaoar Guest

    ss wrote:
    > Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP
    >

    > I recently Upgraded to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98 (First
    > Edition). Most everything went smoothly except for my web access. I
    > use a fiber optic cable modem and LAN. I've used this for 2+ years
    > under Win98 with no problem. My current problem is that when I log
    > onto the internet everything works well for about 5 minutes. Then my
    > web browser stops functioning and I get the dreaded "cannot connect
    > to this..." page. Interestingly enough I still have internet access
    > because I can ping my ISP without difficulty. Once I reboot I'm good
    > for another 3 to 5 minutes before my browser hangs up. All other
    > programs on the computer work fine and don't hang up. I tried to
    > reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0 from the Microsoft web site but
    > receive the message: "A newer version is already installed." Then,
    > the install program terminates.
    >
    > I think the problem is in the XP program.
    >
    > What is the experience in running the Windows XP Pro upgrade program
    > again? I hate to do this but unless I get some good advice I may have
    > to.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sal <>
    >
    > Saturday, July 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

    Disable 802.11x Authentication in your network setup. Do not crosspost
    the universe. Bad form

    Quaoar, Jul 3, 2004
  3. Try this first:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&Product=ie600

    Chris

    Chris Russell, Jul 4, 2004
  4. ss

    Guest

    I have a similar problem: the Win Explorer hangs after a
    hour or so when you try to expand another line, and it
    takes a long long time to display the file contents of
    any line. Additionally, access to network printers
    fails. Rebooting solves the problem for another couple
    of hours. Only XP machines on the network have this
    problem (two Win2K servers, two XP, one Linux, one NT).
    Likewise, I'm looking for a solution. I don't think
    reloading XP or Win Explorer will solve the problem.

    , Jul 5, 2004