Internet Explorer 8 Released Today

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You will be able to download Internet Explorer 8 later on today (Noon EST, 4PM GMT) from the Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/download-ie.aspx

"Microsoft claims that its browser blocks two to four times the malware of rival next generation browsers. While such claims are certainly suspect, especially given the added security layer that some browsers like Mozilla get from non-stock add-ons, Internet Explorer 8 is definitely a big step up from the security of Internet Explorer 7.

Speed, as Mr. Ballmer mentioned, is another key area where IE 8 shines. Microsoft claims it holds the speed record browsing 15 of the 20 top worldwide sites -- again a rather suspicious claim. Still, those who have used IE 8 can likely relate that the browser does load JavaScript and pages with heavy CSS content or other advanced formats a lot faster than IE 7 did."

Read more at Daily Tech.

Attachments

• ie8.jpg
    ie8.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 753
Reaction score
I have just tried to download IE8 from the link provided but come up with the error in the image below..

IE8.jpg

Apparently IE8 beta 2 that I have installed already is a newer version...? WTF...????

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Apparently IE8 beta 2 that I have installed already is a newer version...? WTF...????

That's because it's still the beta you tried to download ;) IE8 comes out at around 4PM, so you'll need to check back then :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
Nothing is ever as good as it seems. Wish i knew how these guys do it, easy way to make money by the looks of it

They should hire these guys! I'll be interested to see what else they can come up with before the end of the week :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That's because it's still the beta you tried to download ;) IE8 comes out at around 4PM, so you'll need to check back then :thumb:

DOH! that would explain it then....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, in for a penny, in for a pound (I already run Vista ;) ) so I now have it installed.

It does seem faster.

I have most of the options disabled, I really don't like software that tries to make decisions for you. In fact all I left on from the options was the spam/phishing filter, just out of curiosity to see if it interfered with my browsing.

But. There's this favourites toolbar. And installed by default are no fewer than four Yahoo links :mad:

Ok, I can right click and delete them, but it still annoys me.

Plus there's a load of other crap on it. Windows Marketplace? Wassat then?

However, first use does seem encouraging, minor gripes aside :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I been using it since RC1 ;)

I like it a lot ... don't remember seeing any Yahoo stuff, even though I'm with BT/Yahoo and use flickr ... still use the Google toolbar even if it now is obsolete. :D

Upgraded to 'final' over-the-top of RC1 no problems.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just saved a picture from t' web and.... it was difficult to browse to the folder where I wanted to save it. Not very intuitive at all. And no, it's not me getting used to something new, I really not that stoopid ;)

When I did eventually manage to browse to the folder on one of my storage HDD's, all the folders were not in alphabetical order, they was all over the place. WTF? :confused:

Maybe this is a prob that has to be sorted?

No burning me bridges now though I guess....

Other than those annoyances I've listed, quite ok.

I await further glitches with some trepidation ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, that favourites toolbar lists, by default (and I've deleted some already) left to right:

Suggested Sites/Customise Links/Free Hotmail/My Yahoo!/Web Slice Gallery/Windows/Windows marketplace/Windows Media/Yahoo!/Yahoo! Bookmarks/Yahoo! Mail

They want my money don't they?

And I'm really not fond of Yahoo. Or Hotmail. Or MSN.

I guess though, I am not a total clever dick cos I do have a Facebook page ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Installed over RC1 here too, and it seems much more stable for me - the RC used to crash (but to be fair, it would reload all the tabs very quickly).

floppybootstomp said:
Just saved a picture from t' web and.... it was difficult to browse to the folder where I wanted to save it. Not very intuitive at all. And no, it's not me getting used to something new, I really not that stoopid ;)

When I did eventually manage to browse to the folder on one of my storage HDD's, all the folders were not in alphabetical order, they was all over the place. WTF? :confused:

I've found that with every open/save dialog box in Vista, on the left hand side it doesn't say C: etc... on a nice collapsible menu, instead you need to click on "Computer" and then navigate a very clunky way :wall: I suppose it helps beginners as they can just click "My Documents" rather than navigating to it using the old structure, but store things all over the place on different drives - so it's a pain!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ok, that favourites toolbar lists, by default (and I've deleted some already) left to right:

Suggested Sites/Customise Links/Free Hotmail/My Yahoo!/Web Slice Gallery/Windows/Windows marketplace/Windows Media/Yahoo!/Yahoo! Bookmarks/Yahoo! Mail

The only one I had was "Suggested Sites", but I set it up using the custom options button when I upgraded, I don't know if that made a difference.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Uhuh. I'm familiar with Vista's navigation by now (one of the few things I do actually prefer with XP incidentally) and after 14 months of a very stable Vista install I'd like to think I know what I'm doing within Vista (a little, anyway). ;)

But, it really was difficult to browse to a location within IE8, unlike within Vista itself.

And I did choose a custom install and rejected most of that rubbish IE8 was trying to foist upon me.

Hey, listen, I'm not going to bash IE8 by default, I am neither a Microsoft toady nor a Linux fanatic, purely somebody who says what he sees, no axe to grind here. Or if there is an axe it's a titchy rubber one ;)

I've used IE since the year dot, btw, simply because I prefer it to anything else, personal preference. The only other browser that came close to me liking was Opera but they have some stoopid things too, so IE it is.

Let's see how things progress.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm gonna pass on upgrading again...I still on IE6 and lovin it..:D

Obviously my new Laptop has Vista on it with IE7 already installed so no choice there, but Main machine with XP Home and IE6 is my preferred setup still..

I'll wait til the bugs are ironed out before overwriting IE7 on the Laptop aswell..:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just noticed no links in any forums worked for me.

So I turned off protected mode in Internet Options and now they do. But I'm now getting an annoying little popup bar every time I click on any link to anything, which is annoying me a great deal.

I mean - WTF? IE8 seems to have bought nannying to the same level as Vista.

I also noticed when I click on a pic - an example would be the BBC News Pic Of The Day - instead of opening in a seperate Window as it previously did, it opens in a full page Window with the pic hard up against the left hand side. I don't like that at all.

So far, I'm wishing I'd stuck with IE7 tbh.

Much more of this and I may become a Firefox convertee.

I wonder if I should take a longer look at the settings? Can I get rid of that poxy popup bar I wonder?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Very strange ... err, I don't have any of that. :confused:

I open a link, it opens in another Tab, as I told it to.

Pics just act normal, I can resise them as I like.

I really dunno why you is having all these 'features' for yourself? I take it you been through all the settings and options?

:user:

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, go to Control Panel, and click on Uninstall Programs link or Programs and Features icon. Then on Tasks pane on the left, click on View installed updates link. Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 8 in the list of installed updates, and then click on Uninstall button. Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update.
:)

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, I certainly am getting them and I've never had any issues with any version of IE previously.

And yes, I went through the setup on installation and as mentioned earlier in this thread, chose protected mode.

And I can't figure out what this InPrivate Filtering is all about :confused:

I like IE, I want this thing to work but if I do uninstall as described in your quote, will it revert back to IE7?

Cos I might just do that.

I've looked at all settings in Internet Options, maybe I should search around elsewhere. Damned frustrating.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, sussed InPrivate Filtering and there's a bloody Smart Filter as well.

Too many bells and whistles......

And I've now looked through just about everything, I think. I notice Spybot Search and Destroy is installed within IE8, that's a new one on me.

Ask a Question