Internet Connection Sharing, Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by HTFiddler, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. HTFiddler

    HTFiddler Guest

    This is an intermittent problem re. ICS and Windows Firewall:

    1. connect 2 laptops, both running XP Pro, with yellow crossover cable
    or connected thru a hub

    2. set host to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). It forces the Local
    Area Connection onto 192.168.0.1

    3. set client to Obtain an IP Address automatically

    4. files and other shared resources are visible on both laptops ... so
    far so good!

    5. host can access the Internet fine

    6. client accesses the Internet half the time ... the other half, I
    get Page Not Found!

    7. When client cannot get to the Internet, I go to Windows Firewall:
    Advanced tab: uncheck Local Area Connection (LAC). Internet is then
    immediately accessible from the client! Then, I can recheck Local
    Area Connection in the Firewall, and continue Internet access from the
    client!

    ---

    I have had this happen now on 2 different and unrelated LAN's. One
    used a hub ... the other a crossover cable. It all makes no sense.
    Why does it work sometimes and not others? Why after failing, does
    unchecking, then rechecking the Firewall LAC fix it?

    Maybe I need to just go with another firewall. Any suggestions on a
    good cheap or free one?

    Thanks everyone!

    Henry

    HTFiddler, Oct 7, 2009

  2. HTFiddler

    db Guest

    the cross over cable can be used
    to connect two computers together
    via the lan connection "or"

    connect the modem to the router.

    from the router to the computers
    should be ol'regular network
    cables.

    --
    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    db, Oct 7, 2009

  3. HTFiddler

    Anteaus Guest

    If you are on ADSL or cable you'd be better with a combined modem/router.
    This eliminates all of the problems associated with both USB modems and ICS.

    They are no longer the expensive items they used to be, and the work
    involved in getting a USB/ICS setup to behave itself will cost more in real
    terms.

    --------------------------
    "This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.
    And, in all that time it''s only had four mobos, six processors, two cases,
    seven OS''s ...."

    Anteaus, Oct 9, 2009
  4. HTFiddler

    htfiddler Guest

    On Oct 9, 2:58 am, Anteaus <> wrote:
    > If you are on ADSL or cable you'd be better with a combined modem/router.
    > This eliminates all of the problems associated with both USB modems and ICS.
    >
    > They are no longer the expensive items they used to be, and the work
    > involved in getting a USB/ICS setup to behave  itself will cost more inreal
    > terms.
    >
    > --------------------------
    > "This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.
    > And, in all that time it''s only had four mobos, six processors, two cases,
    > seven OS''s ...."
    >

    > "HTFiddler" wrote:
    > > This is an intermittent problem re. ICS and Windows Firewall:

    > > 1. connect 2 laptops, both running XP Pro, with yellow crossover cable
    > > or connected thru a hub

    > > 2. set host to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).  It forces the Local
    > > Area Connection onto 192.168.0.1

    > > 3. set client to Obtain an IP Address automatically

    > > 4. files and other shared resources are visible on both laptops ... so
    > > far so good!

    > > 5. host can access the Internet fine

    > > 6. client accesses the Internet half the time ... the other half, I
    > > get Page Not Found!

    > > 7. When client cannot get to the Internet, I go to Windows Firewall:
    > > Advanced tab: uncheck Local Area Connection (LAC).  Internet is then
    > > immediately accessible from the client!  Then, I can recheck Local
    > > Area Connection in the Firewall, and continue Internet access from the
    > > client!

    > > ---

    > > I have had this happen now on 2 different and unrelated LAN's.  One
    > > used a hub ... the other a crossover cable.  It all makes no sense.
    > > Why does it work sometimes and not others?  Why after failing, does
    > > unchecking, then rechecking the Firewall LAC fix it?

    > > Maybe I need to just go with another firewall.  Any suggestions on a
    > > good cheap or free one?

    > > Thanks everyone!

    > > Henry- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks but I am on a Verizon aircard. The problem is obviously with
    Windows Firewall. Seems no one knows how to fix it either. Oh
    well ... just takes a few seconds to uncheck Local Area Connection at
    the Firewall.

    htfiddler, Oct 11, 2009
  5. HTFiddler

    Richard Guest

    > "htfiddler" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 9, 2:58 am, Anteaus <> wrote:
    >> If you are on ADSL or cable you'd be better with a combined modem/router.
    >> This eliminates all of the problems associated with both USB modems and
    >> ICS.
    >>
    >> They are no longer the expensive items they used to be, and the work
    >> involved in getting a USB/ICS setup to behave itself will cost more in
    >> real terms.
    >>
    >> --------------------------
    >> "This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.
    >> And, in all that time it''s only had four mobos, six processors, two
    >> cases, seven OS''s ...."
    >>

    >> "HTFiddler" wrote:
    >> > This is an intermittent problem re. ICS and Windows Firewall:

    >> > 1. connect 2 laptops, both running XP Pro, with yellow crossover cable
    >> > or connected thru a hub

    >> > 2. set host to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). It forces the Local
    >> > Area Connection onto 192.168.0.1

    >> > 3. set client to Obtain an IP Address automatically

    >> > 4. files and other shared resources are visible on both laptops ... so
    >> > far so good!

    >> > 5. host can access the Internet fine

    >> > 6. client accesses the Internet half the time ... the other half, I
    >> > get Page Not Found!

    >> > 7. When client cannot get to the Internet, I go to Windows Firewall:
    >> > Advanced tab: uncheck Local Area Connection (LAC). Internet is then
    >> > immediately accessible from the client! Then, I can recheck Local
    >> > Area Connection in the Firewall, and continue Internet access from the
    >> > client!

    >> > ---

    >> > I have had this happen now on 2 different and unrelated LAN's. One
    >> > used a hub ... the other a crossover cable. It all makes no sense.
    >> > Why does it work sometimes and not others? Why after failing, does
    >> > unchecking, then rechecking the Firewall LAC fix it?

    >> > Maybe I need to just go with another firewall. Any suggestions on a
    >> > good cheap or free one?

    >> > Thanks everyone!

    >> > Henry- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks but I am on a Verizon aircard. The problem is obviously with
    > Windows Firewall. Seems no one knows how to fix it either. Oh
    > well ... just takes a few seconds to uncheck Local Area Connection at
    > the Firewall.

    - - -

    Have you tried refreshing the browser to re-establish the connection?

    Are Internet Options on both computers configured for ICS?

    Are both computers XP Service Pack 3?

    Do both computers use the same antivirus and anti-malware programs?

    ---
    To make a local area connection
    * If you have a network adapter installed, and have set up a home or small
    office network, you are connected to a local area network (LAN). You are
    also connected to a LAN if your Windows XP Professional computer is part of
    a corporate network. When you start your computer, your network adapter is
    detected and the local area connection automatically starts. Unlike other
    types of connections, the local area connection is created automatically,
    and you do not have to click the local area connection in order to start it.

    Notes
    * A local area connection is automatically created for each network adapter
    that is detected.
    * If more than one network adapter is installed, you can eliminate possible
    confusion by immediately renaming each local area connection to reflect the
    network that it connects to.
    * If your computer has one network adapter, but you need to connect to
    multiple LANs (for example, when traveling to a regional office), the
    network components for your local area connection need to be enabled or
    disabled each time you connect to a different LAN.
    * If more than one network adapter is installed, you need to add or enable
    the network clients, services, and protocols that are required for each
    local area connection. When you do so, the client, service, or protocol is
    added or enabled for all other network and dial-up connections.
    ---
    * If you disconnect your local area connection, the connection is no longer
    automatically activated. Because your hardware profile remembers this, it
    accommodates your location-based needs as a mobile user. For example, if you
    travel to a remote sales office and use a separate hardware profile for that
    location that does not enable your local area connection, you do not waste
    time waiting for your network adapter to time out. The adapter does not even
    try to connect.
    * When you enable Internet Connection Sharing, the local area network
    connection to the home or small office network is given a new static IP
    address and configuration. Consequently, TCP/IP connections established
    between any home or small office computer and the ICS host computer at the
    time of enabling ICS are lost and need to be reestablished.
    ---
    from Windows Firewall FAQ
    What will change for a new home network:

    * Windows Firewall will be turned on for all connections.
    * The Network Setup Wizard will no longer create a network bridge
    automatically. A network bridge joins two network segments so that they act
    as one unified network. This change only affects networks with multiple
    network segments. However, if you have a mixed network (for example, wired
    and wireless), you might want to set up a network bridge to connect the two
    parts of your network.
    * Using an Internet gateway device is recommended, rather than Internet
    Connection Sharing. An Internet gateway device is a piece of hardware that
    you buy at a computer store. This is also sometimes called a base station or
    a residential gateway. Your network connects to the Internet through this
    device.
    - - -
    How to enable Internet Connection Sharing on a home or a small office
    network connection in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066
    - - -
    Windows XP Service Pack 3-based computers in a private network that uses
    Internet Connection Sharing may lose network connectivity after you change
    the network adapter settings of the private adapter on the Internet
    Connection Sharing computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951446
    - - -
    How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
    - - -
    How to Configure a Static Client for Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309642
    - - -
    HOW TO: Enable or disable Internet Connection firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
    - - -

    Richard, Oct 16, 2009