    control, change and read. But still, I can't access it from the laptop, at
    least not consistently.

    Why?

    JoeSpareBedroom, Feb 4, 2010

  2. This could be computer browser issue. Any errors in the Event Viewer? Make
    sure NetBIOS in all computers are enabled. This search result may help too.

    Computer BrowserThe master browser has received a server announcement from
    the computer <computer name> that believes that it is the master browser ...
    www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Feb 4, 2010

  3. Here's a clue, maybe: I just noticed (on the desktop) that in the right
    column of "My Network Places", the connection in question is listed as "The
    Internet" instead of "Local Network". No idea what to make of it, though.

    JoeSpareBedroom, Feb 4, 2010
  4. "JoeSpareBedroom" <> wrote in

    > Two computers, both running XP Pro, connected to same Linksys
    > router. In desktop's My Network Places, I see the following, which
    > refers to the entire hard disk in the laptop:
    >
    > \\192.168.2.100\Sony Disk C
    >
    > A few days ago, I clicked on that resource and it connected me to
    > the laptop's HD. Tonight, no dice. I get a msg saying "not
    > accessible you might not have permission blah blah blah". On the
    > laptop, if I open My Computer, right click C: and inspect Sharing
    > and Security, the first share name which shows is C$. Also
    > available in the dropdown list is "Sony Disk C". If I select that
    > share name, I find that permissions are checked for full control,
    > change and read. But still, I can't access it from the laptop, at
    > least not consistently.
    >
    > Why?

    A couple possibilities:

    First:
    "192.168.2.100" looks like a dynamic DHCP address assigned by your
    Linksys router. (Linksys typically uses the range of .100 - .254 for
    its DHCP addresses). It is possible that this address has changed for
    that machine (which is normal with DHCP and to be expected). Yesterday
    it might have been .100, today it may be .101. A better way to access
    it would be by its computername:
    \\computername\Sony Disk C

    Second:
    You don't mention whether "Simple File Sharing" is enabled or disabled.
    Assuming it is disabled, then did you recently change your password on
    one machine and not the other? (Username/passwords must match on both
    machines or you must authenticate manually).
    Assuming it is enabled, does the user "Guest" have access to the shared
    drive (all access is through Guest account in Simple File Sharing).

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Feb 4, 2010
  5. "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > "JoeSpareBedroom" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Two computers, both running XP Pro, connected to same Linksys
    >> router. In desktop's My Network Places, I see the following, which
    >> refers to the entire hard disk in the laptop:
    >>
    >> \\192.168.2.100\Sony Disk C
    >>
    >> A few days ago, I clicked on that resource and it connected me to
    >> the laptop's HD. Tonight, no dice. I get a msg saying "not
    >> accessible you might not have permission blah blah blah". On the
    >> laptop, if I open My Computer, right click C: and inspect Sharing
    >> and Security, the first share name which shows is C$. Also
    >> available in the dropdown list is "Sony Disk C". If I select that
    >> share name, I find that permissions are checked for full control,
    >> change and read. But still, I can't access it from the laptop, at
    >> least not consistently.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>

    > A couple possibilities:
    >
    > First:
    > "192.168.2.100" looks like a dynamic DHCP address assigned by your
    > Linksys router. (Linksys typically uses the range of .100 - .254 for
    > its DHCP addresses). It is possible that this address has changed for
    > that machine (which is normal with DHCP and to be expected). Yesterday
    > it might have been .100, today it may be .101. A better way to access
    > it would be by its computername:
    > \\computername\Sony Disk C
    >
    > Second:
    > You don't mention whether "Simple File Sharing" is enabled or disabled.
    > Assuming it is disabled, then did you recently change your password on
    > one machine and not the other? (Username/passwords must match on both
    > machines or you must authenticate manually).
    > Assuming it is enabled, does the user "Guest" have access to the shared
    > drive (all access is through Guest account in Simple File Sharing).
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    John, simple file sharing WAS enabled on the desktop, and DISabled on the
    laptop. I haven't changed those settings. But I did try accessing the laptop
    using the computer name and that worked. I also noticed that today, the
    laptop's address ended with 101 and the desktop's is 100. Would that be
    based on which machine was booted first?

    JoeSpareBedroom, Feb 8, 2010
  6. "JoeSpareBedroom" <> wrote in

    > I also noticed that today, the laptop's address ended with 101 and
    > the desktop's is 100. Would that be based on which machine was
    > booted first?

    I guess the best answer to this question is "not necessarily".

    The router has a pool of IP addresses that it can give out when a
    computer asks for one. There's no fixed rule for which address it
    gives to which machine but, all else being equal, usually home routers
    give out the lowest available numbered address in the pool.

    DHCP also has a feature where a computer can request the last IP that
    it had (Windows will do this). The DHCP server part of your router has
    discretion as whether or not to honor that request. So a machine that
    had '.101' last time could request the same address and get it even if
    '.100' were available in the DHCP pool. So a lot depends on how your
    router is configured.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Feb 8, 2010
  7. "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > "JoeSpareBedroom" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I also noticed that today, the laptop's address ended with 101 and
    >> the desktop's is 100. Would that be based on which machine was
    >> booted first?

    > I guess the best answer to this question is "not necessarily".
    >
    > The router has a pool of IP addresses that it can give out when a
    > computer asks for one. There's no fixed rule for which address it
    > gives to which machine but, all else being equal, usually home routers
    > give out the lowest available numbered address in the pool.
    >
    > DHCP also has a feature where a computer can request the last IP that
    > it had (Windows will do this). The DHCP server part of your router has
    > discretion as whether or not to honor that request. So a machine that
    > had '.101' last time could request the same address and get it even if
    > '.100' were available in the DHCP pool. So a lot depends on how your
    > router is configured.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Well, it's working, so I'm not about to mess with the router's settings. My
    company's tech guy had a devil of a time configuring it to work with their
    VPN. He's 350 miles away. To mess with it would be to cause him to drink
    heavily.

    JoeSpareBedroom, Feb 8, 2010