Intel to release 2.8GHz P4 in Q3

Reaction score
Intel has sped up their release cycle and are now planning to release a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 in Q3 of this year, instead of Q4 as had previously been planned. Intel has commented that this is due to the sucessful transition to the 0.13 micron process.

This means that Intel will most likely have a 3GHz chip out in Q4 of this year, which should compete head to head with AMD's upcomming Clawhammer K8. It is set to debut at a rating of 3400+.

The 2.80GHz Pentium 4 will kick off at $637, with the .66GHz/2.6GHz processor costing $562, and the .53GHz/2.5GHz processors dropping to $433, when bought in quantities of 1,000. All prices are listed in US dollars.

It definetly looks like the processor war will heat up in Q4 once again, if all goes to plan. AMD has been trailing in the benchmarks for some time now, as they have faced a difficult transition to the 130-nanometer process, which has caused the 2200+ processor to be available in only small quantities, at best.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wondering if AMD hadn't given Intel a virtual kick up the nuts in the processor speed war whether Intel would have progressed so quickly.

Whatever, it can only be good for us, the consumers. Looking interesting, I must say.

Reaction score
I think Clawhammer's gonna give Intel a serious kick in the nuts. The P4 won't be able to compete, trust me.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long till it comes out now? Q1/2 2003?

Ask a Question