Intel Core 2 Duo Vs Intel Core 2 Quad

Reaction score
Hi There,

I wonder if someone could confirm which processor is better?

I recently was given an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz)

in place of my Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz

I've put in an all seems fine however I'm not sure if what he's given me is actually any better then what I already had been using??

I noticed my Windows rating has gone down to 6.2 on the subscore for calculations per second whereas before it said 6.5

I'm bit out of touch with processors and just wanted to see if anyone could shed some light which is better out of the 2?

Many Thanks in advance:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well the quad is a 4 core processor, the E7500 is only a dual core with a slightly higher clock speed.

Personally the quad is what i'd keep and bump it up to 3Ghz, If your confident in doing so.

You will find games and such will run a little better on the quad due to the extra cores to work with. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :wave:

I would have thought that the Q6600 would be faster, especially if you're doing lots of multitasking or intensive tasks. The core speed of the E7500 may be higher, but the Q6600 has more processing power :).

edit: Just saw V-R's reply. Overclocking to 3ghz would give you a great boost - I've done that to my Q6600 in the past.

Reaction score
Question how do you go about over clock your CPU as I have often wondered about doing that? Or should I ask that question as a new post in the overclocking fourum.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Question how do you go about over clock your CPU as I have often wondered about doing that? Or should I ask that question as a new post in the overclocking fourum.

Worm. Can. Open.

Best way is to read up on as many guides and such as possible.

Google is key. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Basically, to overclock there are two main adjustments, if the cpu is unlocked then the core speed can be upped in the BIOS but the most common way is to increase the speed of the fsb (front side bus).

But, with all that other settings, such as memory and cpu voltage may have have to be tweaked.

Definitely read a few guides.

I own what must be the most unclockable core duo 2.4Ghz 6600 in existence. I attempt to take it past 2.6Ghz and it goes doolally on me :D

Ask a Question