Subject: Installing Windows XP Pro on top of Windows XP Home
From: "henry sachs" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 1/7/2004 12:41 AM Eastern Standard Time

I would like to install XP PRO on top of XP Home
Edition. Will I lose data? Is this a seamless
installation? Please advise. I am upgrading so I can
get the ability to use VPN over cable.

Thanks,

Henry
This is usually a simple and straightforward upgrade. You shouldn't lose any
settings, data, etc. However...it is always a good idea to backup anything you
can't afford to lose before making any major changes to your system.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Donald McDaniel

henry said:
I would like to install XP PRO on top of XP Home
Edition. Will I lose data? Is this a seamless
installation? Please advise. I am upgrading so I can
get the ability to use VPN over cable.

Thanks,

Henry

Don't "install XP Pro on top of XP Home". You will probably only end up with
a parallel install of XP Pro on the same partition as XP Home, but in a
different folder. Instead, choose "Upgrade" as the install type, making
sure you tell the installer you want to keep your file structure intact.
This will keep your files, settings, and directory structure intact.

Ken Blake, MVP

In
henry sachs said:
I would like to install XP PRO on top of XP Home
Edition. Will I lose data? Is this a seamless
installation? Please advise. I am upgrading so I can
get the ability to use VPN over cable.

It's the easiest and most likely successful of all possible
upgrades.

However upgrading is a big step, affecting almost everything on
your drive. When you take such a big step, no matter how
unlikely, it is always possible that something could go wrong.
For that reason, it's prudent to make sure you have a backup of
anything you can't afford to lose before begining.