Installing software on Windows 2003 Domain Controller

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by Guest, Oct 16, 2007.

    We have 4 DC's where I have been installing software via a simple setup.exe
    file.

    The installation has completed OK via a wizard on 2 out of 4 of the servers
    but is failing on the other 2 with the following error ;

    "Invalid command line" and "setup.exe /s /input :"

    The message also specifies that these 2 parameters are optional.

    This error did not occur on the other 2 DC's which I would hope are identical.

    The media used is the same for the working and the non-working installations
    so the media is not the issue.

    I suspect permissions but have checked folder permissions and the event logs
    and nothing jumps out at me.

    Thanks

    Guest, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Hi,

    Are you positive its not executing a DIFFERENT "setup.exe"?

    Bye,
    Dennis

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:30:02 -0700, airforce <> wrote:

    >We have 4 DC's where I have been installing software via a simple setup.exe
    >file.
    >
    >The installation has completed OK via a wizard on 2 out of 4 of the servers
    >but is failing on the other 2 with the following error ;
    >
    >"Invalid command line" and "setup.exe /s /input :"
    >
    >The message also specifies that these 2 parameters are optional.
    >
    >This error did not occur on the other 2 DC's which I would hope are identical.
    >
    >The media used is the same for the working and the non-working installations
    >so the media is not the issue.
    >
    >I suspect permissions but have checked folder permissions and the event logs
    >and nothing jumps out at me.
    >
    >Thanks

    Dennis Bareis [Microsoft MVP] ()
    http://dennisbareis.com/
    Freeware Windows Installer creation tool (+ "ORCA automation"):
    http://makemsi.dennisbareis.com/

    Dennis Bareis, Oct 17, 2007

    Phil Wilson Guest

    That was my thought too - an entry in the App Paths registry key for
    setup.exe could be pointing to another setup.exe on the system somewhere.
    --
    Phil Wilson
    [MVP Windows Installer]

    Phil Wilson, Oct 17, 2007