Installing IIS on XP Pro - Cannot find files

I recently purchased a dell inspiron 9100 notebook running windowx xp
home sp2. After the system arrived, I upgraded the os to windows xp pro sp2
with the campus license upgrade cd procided by my school (texas tech
univeristy.)

When I try to install IIS throu controll panel -> add/remove programs
->add/remove components, I recieve the message that the install cannot find
staxmem.dll. If i use the browse button to select the i386 folder, it copies
the file and then can't find the file adsutil.vbs.

I found a very similar problem in the MS knowledgebase
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894351 and it had to
do with either a corrupt secedit.sdb or a problem with sp2. I have performed
the problem does not lay with the secedit.sdb file. The second option does
not apply to my system, as it began its life as a xp home sp2 machine and not
an xp machine without sp2.

I am somewhat at a loss about what to do. I am open to any sugestions
regarding either a true solution or a work around to get IIS properly
installed (I need it for a class.) If you need anymore information, just ask.

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Copy and paste the following in the Run box, then hit enter:

esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\sec­edit.sdb

Afterward, try installing IIS again.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Hi,
| I recently purchased a dell inspiron 9100 notebook running windowx xp
| home sp2. After the system arrived, I upgraded the os to windows xp pro sp2
| with the campus license upgrade cd procided by my school (texas tech
| univeristy.)
|
| When I try to install IIS throu controll panel -> add/remove programs
| ->add/remove components, I recieve the message that the install cannot find
| staxmem.dll. If i use the browse button to select the i386 folder, it copies
| the file and then can't find the file adsutil.vbs.
|
| I found a very similar problem in the MS knowledgebase
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894351 and it had to
| do with either a corrupt secedit.sdb or a problem with sp2. I have performed
| the problem does not lay with the secedit.sdb file. The second option does
| not apply to my system, as it began its life as a xp home sp2 machine and not
| an xp machine without sp2.
|
| I am somewhat at a loss about what to do. I am open to any sugestions
| regarding either a true solution or a work around to get IIS properly
| installed (I need it for a class.) If you need anymore information, just ask.
|
| Thanks

Thanks for the response. This is the same procedure as described in the kb
article, and I have allready performed it. However I tried it again in order
to be thorough. I copied the line into the run box and ran it. I was prompted
and asked if I wished to proceed, and I clicked yes. Once the process
completed I attempted to install IIS and recieved the same failure. It was
unable to find staxmem.dll, and when I manually browsed for the i386 folder
it then failed on adsutil.vbs that I cannot find anywhere.

Any sugestions are welcome

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try this:

While at your Windows XP Pro desktop, insert the XP Pro CD
in the CD drive, allow the menu to appear, then select install
optional components.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Thanks for the response. This is the same procedure as described in the kb
| article, and I have allready performed it. However I tried it again in order
| to be thorough. I copied the line into the run box and ran it. I was prompted
| and asked if I wished to proceed, and I clicked yes. Once the process
| completed I attempted to install IIS and recieved the same failure. It was
| unable to find staxmem.dll, and when I manually browsed for the i386 folder
| it then failed on adsutil.vbs that I cannot find anywhere.
|
| Any sugestions are welcome

I did as you described with the same results. I put in my XP Pro CD and
selected install components. It still gave me the same error with and could
not find the files.

Thanks

Just an update on the problem. It still will not allow me to install iis. I
can manually find the dll files it asks for and navigate to them; the big
problem is the vbs scripts I cannot find anywhere. Any help is appreciated

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
What is in the c:\Windows\inf\layout.inf for those two files?
Staxmem.dll
Adsutil.vbs
When we look for files we use layout to determine where the source of the
file should reside as well as other things.
Since those are the first two file you are getting errors on. There are
probably others, but two should be enough of sample to check.
copy the two lines from the layout.inf and post them back.
I want to see what they state to see if there are differences from what I
expect to see.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?bWphbGxlbjY2?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: RE: Installing IIS on XP Pro - Cannot find files
<Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:47:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<can manually find the dll files it asks for and navigate to them; the big
<problem is the vbs scripts I cannot find anywhere. Any help is appreciated
<
<
<"mjallen66" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<> I recently purchased a dell inspiron 9100 notebook running windowx xp
<> home sp2. After the system arrived, I upgraded the os to windows xp pro
sp2
<> with the campus license upgrade cd procided by my school (texas tech
<> univeristy.)
<>
[...]

I am having a similar problem installing fax services on a new Dell laptop.
When adding that component it can't find the files on the HD or on the Dell
supplied CD.

Could this have to do with the fact Dell dumps the OS bulk and the
installation is a little wierd?

I've seen this mentioned alot but havent found a solution....

Can you help?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
What is in the c:\Windows\inf\layout.inf for those two files?
Staxmem.dll
Adsutil.vbs
When we look for files we use layout to determine where the source of the
file should reside as well as other things.
Since those are the first two file you are getting errors on. There are
probably others, but two should be enough of sample to check.
copy the two lines from the layout.inf and post them back.
I want to see what they state to see if there are differences from what I
expect to see.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?bWphbGxlbjY2?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:47:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<can manually find the dll files it asks for and navigate to them; the big
<problem is the vbs scripts I cannot find anywhere. Any help is appreciated
<
<
<"mjallen66" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
[...]

spacemonk

had almost the same problem...found this post while troubleshooting...
here's what i tired and it *seems* to be working...
followed the instructions on
http://tinyurl.com/8fruz

method 2, except i skipped steps 5 and 6 - since my cd already had sp2
- therefore no need to do those

Tried it to no avail. As it turns out, it appears I can't install any
additional components. I can't find the files needed for any of them I try.

Scott Holman

I've had the same problem.

I originally installed XP from a XP Pro SP1 installation CD. I then ran the
XP Pro SP2 update (windowsxp-KB835935-sp2-enu.exe). After doing so I was
unable to install IIS. During the IIS installation, setup was unable to
find adsutil.vbs. This file is not part of the I386 directory that is
included with SP2 update. I was able to solve the problem by inserting a XP
Pro SP2 installation CD when prompted by setup for the location of
adsutil.vbs.

It would appear that you cannot install IIS after upgrading to SP2 unless
you have an SP2 installation CD.

Scott Holman

Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Found the Fix!!!

I was having this problem and couldn't get it to install from my CD's. However, I had SP2 install files on my hard drive that I had downloaded from the internet (don't remember where). I found it in the "ip" folder within those install files. That solved the problem and it didn't run into any other errors.

Hope that helps!!!

Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Solution

If your WINDOWS have SP2 installed, you can access IIS files here: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.

That worked for me!

Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I had the exact same problem as post # 1. I found a solution to this problem and thought I'd just post it here in case someone else runs into the same problem:

First of all I downloaded the Win XP SP2 file from:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html
and extracted it by running the file from the command line. I.e rename the file to SP2.exe, place it in C:\sp2\, then type 'C:\sp2\SP2.exe -x' to extract the files. Now you'll find staxmem.dl_ in C:\sp2\i386.

Next, the adsutil.vbs file is located inside IIS6.cab. Do a search on your computer and see if you can locate adsutil.vbs or IIS6.cab. In my case it was named IIS_adsutil.vbs, so I had to extract the IIS6.cab file and rename IIS_adsutil.vbs to adsutil.vbs.

After this the installer will ask for some more *.dll files. Now locate the ip folder, in my case c:\sp2\i386\ip, and the rest of the installation should run smoothly.

Hope this works for you!

-Steinnes

Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Ditched after trying for 2 days.

I had to install IIS in order to use Oracle BI Presentation Server(so I was told). Kept getting this error even after i inserted the CD ( What does Microsoft expect? everyone is supposed to have these installation crap with them at all times. I had to get it from our sys admin.) I googled this error. Tried various 'solutions'. None worked. 2 days gone. Went to Oracle's website. RTFM. Found out that this could work with a Java webserver too. WOW!. installed Apache-tomcat (3 minutes). Copied the application bundled analytics.war file to the tomcat webapps directory (30 seconds). Started tomcat and typed the url for the app URL with crossed fingers. Voila!. App is working right off the bat!. God bless the open source guys. I so hate
debugging Microsoft errors.

Thanks,
John

Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Nice one jxm. I had to install MS SQL server, so I wasnt as lucky as you were. RTFM is the smartest advice you could give anyone with any given problem. And search the forums for advice as well, as I did, and you'll find a solution in no time.