    together two metal objects, one on each side of the drive.

    I probably need some sort of a frame, does anyone know anything about this?

    Andreas.

    Andreas Grimne Hjortland, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    Jan Alter Guest

    Sounds like you need another set of those squeezable objects or rails for
    your particular case. Don't you just love those propriatory cases? Compaq
    used to do that routine and one would have to order their set of specialized
    torx screw headed rails for $20 a pop. One quickly learned how to adapt
    plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate the necessity.

    --
    Jan Alter

    or
    12.pa.us

    Jan Alter, Dec 25, 2004

  3. Jan Alter wrote:
    > One quickly learned how to adapt plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate the necessity.

    Making a couple of holes in the cabinet should do it. I was hoping for a
    cheap, easy and working solution, though. Crap.

    Andreas Grimne Hjortland, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    Jan Alter Guest

    I think you just found one.

    --
    Jan Alter

    or
    12.pa.us

    Jan Alter, Dec 25, 2004
  5. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    Jerry G. Guest

    You must have a propriatory machine, such as a DELL, or a Compaque, or
    something else similar. I would suggest calling the computer manufacture to
    order a kit to do this type of installation. Or, you can drill some holes,
    and do a makeshift job.

    Since your machine sounds like it may be propriatory, did you determine if
    the drive will function on your machine without too many problems?

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Dec 25, 2004
  6. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    Martin Guest

    An old Compaq i recently worked on was similar.

    The original CD-ROM had two stubby screws in each side where the mounting
    screws would normally go.
    It then slid into a rail - guided by the heads of these screws.

    Took me a few minutes to realise that some extra (unused) 'stubby' screws
    were located in the front of the pc's chassis.
    They'd included another four or six - anticipating future upgrades :)

    Martin.

    Martin, Dec 25, 2004
  7. Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    > I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
    > a Crest cabinet today.

    <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>

    This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
    anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

    Andreas Grimne Hjortland, Dec 25, 2004
  8. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    Martin Guest

    "Andreas Grimne Hjortland" <>
    wrote in message news:41cd4272$...
    > Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    > > I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
    > > a Crest cabinet today.

    > <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
    >
    > This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
    > anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

    Presumably you're adding the CD writer to the PC and leaving the current
    CD-ROM drive installed too?

    So you can't simply reuse the rails on the CD-ROM??

    Martin.

    Martin, Dec 25, 2004
  9. Martin wrote:
    > Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
    >>> a Crest cabinet today.

    >> <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
    >>
    >> This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
    >> anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

    > Presumably you're adding the CD writer to the PC and leaving the current
    > CD-ROM drive installed too?
    >
    > So you can't simply reuse the rails on the CD-ROM??

    I'm afraid so. However I'm hoping the manufacturer will get back to me
    in a couple of days.

    Andreas Grimne Hjortland, Dec 25, 2004
  10. Andreas Grimne Hjortland

    John McGaw Guest

    Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    > Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC
    >> with a Crest cabinet today.

    > <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
    >
    > This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
    > anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

    IME cases that use proprietary slides and rails usually come with enough
    to fill most if not all of the mounting locations. But sometimes they do
    get lost along the way. I've actually fabricated slides for friends from
    wood -- hard maple being an excellent choice. I've known others who had
    access to the proper tools to make them from acrylic or polycarbonate
    plastic sheets. But of course if you can actually get the manufacturer
    to respond that would be best.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]