Installer for Ports Error.....???

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to your site and thought I'd ask for some expert advice. I was directed here after searching on google so hopefully, I'm prayingthat someone can help me.

The problem is this....

A few weeks ago I was on the internet and mt PC crashed. After rebooting the PC I was left for quite a few minutes with a different start up screen to welcome me. Gobe was the blue welcome screen with the 3 user profiles. I now had a black screen with a username and passowrd login, I am using Windows XP with SP2 if that helps?

The screnn took ages to load my desktop which still has not happened. The screen looks sketchy, and what I mean by that is "Not as smooth" as it usually looks, on top of that the bar at the bottom of the screen, from the start button right the way across to the clock, bar a few icons has gone.... and the message I am getting is this:-

"Windows could not load the installer for ports. Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance"

Luckily I have a laptop to post this thread otherwise I have no idea what I can do. I have search right around the internet and have been produced with links to products such as Errorkiller, RegFix, Registrymechanic, RegCure and JV16 power Tools all which promise to sort the problem out...

Has anyone got any experience with this issue? Can someone please point me in the right direction as I have all but given up on this. I also tried to reboot fromthe windows CD but it is telling me that some fileis missing...

Any help that anyone can give would be most welcome and very much appreciated.

Regards to all and thank you in advance.

Nubester.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome ... :thumb:

A bit more info on the hardware you have may/will help. ;)

Unfortunately, your 'problem' could be any number of things, hard drive failing/corrupted, a virus infection, other hardware/software failure.

Can you start in Safe Mode ... tap the F8 key at boot.

:user:

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter

Thank you for the welcome and for the speedy reply, I've had a look around the site and what a great site it is! Congrats!!!

I have been told by a computer repair shop that it "may" be a virus. I have tried starting in safe mode but the problem is still there. I went to the Device Manager and I am nable to even access this as some Mmcndmgr.dlll has not be installed or not working correctly?? therefore unable to view this either? If you tell me exactly what info you need I will reply with it. I may post too much useless info! ;-) operating system is Windows XP Pro with SP2. Sorry, not really that technically minded

I appreciate any help you or other members can give... I take it this is not a common problem?

Regards

Nubester

Ask a Question