Windows XP Installed several security updates hibernated no restart possible

Reaction score
I have a Compaq presario v5000 (notebook) with Win XP. Norton Antivirus 2009, which was running an update. Not sure what stage it had reached.
It had just installed about 5 or 6 security and other automatic updates. I had not restarted the machine to complete the installation as I was working on something.

I was working on Serif software Drawplus X2 and writing an email using Gmail through my firefox Browser latest edition, sorry don't know the details as I can't restart the machine.

Just noticed that on the front edge of the notebook there is a flashing orange zigzag icon when I press the start button.
I was just about to attach a file when the machine went into hibernation mode.
I have tried to restart the machine but nothing at all happens.
It is plugged into the mains so I know it is not a battery failure, at least I don't think so as I think the machine would have shut down not hibernated.

I am working on my MacbookPro to do this.
I work wirelessly through an Airport Express, although I don't think it is relevant.

I am sorry if there is more information you need but as I rarely use the notebook I am not too familiar with it all.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Best regards
Applelady

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

I have no idea about laptops, but I know MS should be put against the wall and shoot whoever invented hibernation ... it's called, a coma.

you can try ...

Press and hold the start button for at least 5 seconds ... will shutdown any PC ;)

Press CRTL-Alt-Del ... a few times?

Turn off the mains power, pull the battery, put the kettle on, plug the mains back in but not the battery, and or the other way round.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'm open ...

oh, if you do get it back, BIN Norton, go for something that actually works, costs less, uses a hell of a lot less resources/memory, AND stops nasties ... and I ain't suggesting a freebie.

:user:

Reaction score
OK everyone MY face is about as red as one can be. as years of IT 'expert' in a school( infants ) the first thing I used to ask the teachers who reported problems was'
Is it plugged into the wall and switched on?' Talking bbc days here!
so it was only when I got a message on my MacbookPro that it was running on reserve battery power that I realised I had closed down the computers and switched off my Belkin gang yesterday as we were out all day.

So the puzzle is solved. The battery had run down.As I had forgotten that and didn't realise they were both running on battery power.

Just hope it will recharge now or I will still be stuck.
Thankfully only use it for one piece of software that I like and cannot get a Mac version of it.

I have been lucky with that notebook as had it four years and this was the first problem and that was totally my own fault..
Makes a change for it not to be Windows.

Thanks for the interest and help offered.
Probably won't renew Norton when it comes up BUT what can anyone recommend.
off list if this isn't allowed on here.
thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
AppleLady said:
OK everyone MY face is about as red as one can be. as years of IT 'expert' in a school( infants ) the first thing I used to ask the teachers who reported problems was'
Is it plugged into the wall and switched on?' Talking bbc days here!
so it was only when I got a message on my MacbookPro that it was running on reserve battery power that I realised I had closed down the computers and switched off my Belkin gang yesterday as we were out all day.

So the puzzle is solved. The battery had run down.As I had forgotten that and didn't realise they were both running on battery power.

Just hope it will recharge now or I will still be stuck.
Thankfully only use it for one piece of software that I like and cannot get a Mac version of it.

I have been lucky with that notebook as had it four years and this was the first problem and that was totally my own fault..
Makes a change for it not to be Windows.

Thanks for the interest and help offered.
Probably won't renew Norton when it comes up BUT what can anyone recommend.
off list if this isn't allowed on here.
thanks

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Sorry shouldn't laugh, but at least you have solved the problem. Everything should be all well, although I must say that in the past with a power cut while doing updates XP didn't like that andI had to do a start up repair..

As for AV

Kaspersky
http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kis25orkav30?THRU&reseller=43003&gclid=CIz9yMnCx50CFZ1h4wodwGsDsA

NOD32

http://www.eset.co.uk/products/AntiVirus

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hey, I can write a book on "IT mishaps" and it'd be a best seller ... ;)

Glad you got it sorted. :nod:

I can't recommend any free AV programs these days, but I do use, and highly recommend ...

http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php

Your behind a router, these days they should be all NAT routers, so just use Windows Firewall, no real need for another buggy (firewall) program to be installed, NOD do, however, have an all-in-one solution.

:user:

Reaction score
Hmmm seems all is not well yet. Notebook still will not start up and has been plugged into the power all day.
Wondering how long it will take, as my MBP starts straight away once plugged into the mains.
Seems I may have to try the first lot of suggestions.
Can you give me info into how to get to the battery. Is it obvious?
I have run the notebook on mains power virtually 90% of the time. so I wouldn't have thought the battery was worn out yet?
though of course it is about 4 years old. and the technology has improved tremendously since this was produced.

Thanks for any other suggestions.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Tell us what the laptop is called, not the slang word, and any numbers it has, but if you look on the underside, you should see it, maybe.

May even be as easy as ...

Yep, batteries do not last forever.

;)

Reaction score
AppleLady said:
I have run the notebook on mains power virtually 90% of the time. so I wouldn't have thought the battery was worn out yet?
though of course it is about 4 years old. and the technology has improved tremendously since this was produced.

Here's a Link worth reading on batteries about memory accumulation. Sort of gives the why on why betteries don't last as long or hold their charge as long as they get older. In short it is always good pratice for any rechargeable battery to be run completely flat before charging again, as the quick top up that we give them is what causes their short life..

Ask a Question