Installation fails when runs assigned

Vadim Rapp

Hello,

I have an MSI package that userA can install without a problem if he runs it
"manually"; but when I publish the same package to GPO/user and UserA
installs it from add/remove programs->add new programs, it fails with "fatal
error during installation". This user has his desktop on the network share,
and it looks like this is the reason: in the msi log, I see

MSI (c) (C8:04) [10:40:36:702]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=16)
MSI (c) (C8:04) [10:40:36:712]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned:
\\domain\corp\users\usera\Profile\Desktop
MSI (c) (C8:04) [10:40:36:742]: Note: 1: 1314 2:
\\domain\corp\users\usera\Profile\Desktop\

The current permissions for his desktop folder on the share are domain
administrators (full control) and UserA (everything except full control).
Does the installation from add/remove programs run under some other context
that needs to be given the permission?

thanks,

Vadim Rapp

Try system full control for the folder

--
Angele IT + Bau
Dienstleistungen

Tulpenstraße 24
88477 Schwendi

Tel./Fax.: 07353/3286
Mobil: 0170/6809495

Internet: www.angele-net.de

Netzwerke * Installationen * Softwareverteilung * MSI Repacketierung * MSI
Schulung * Kabellose Netzwerke

CAD Dienstleistung * Werkplanung * Bauleitung * Aufmasse

We had a very similar problem. We had Application Data redirected to a
network share. The users had Full Control to their redirected Application
Data folder but no rights on any folders below. This worked for the
redirection, but some MSI packages needed to be able to browse the subfolders
to get to it. Our work around was to assign Authorized Users Read and Execute
rights to the root folder where the users' Application Data folders were
redirected.

Vadim Rapp

Hello Eric:
You wrote on Tue, 4 Oct 2005 06:25:05 -0700:

EH> We had a very similar problem. We had Application Data redirected to a
EH> network share. The users had Full Control to their redirected
EH> Application Data folder but no rights on any folders below. This worked
EH> for the redirection, but some MSI packages needed to be able to browse
EH> the subfolders to get to it. Our work around was to assign Authorized
EH> Users Read and Execute rights to the root folder where the users'
EH> Application Data folders were redirected.

if of interest: the problem was resolved by adding domain computers to the
ACL for the network folder (by the advice from Wise Solutions Tech Supprot)

We also had another interesting case, somewhat similar. The same
installation was failing when domain computers were in the ACL of the share.
The user was in the ACL of the GPO that forced profile folders' redirection;
but user's computer was not. The problem was fixed when user's computer was
also added to the ACL of the GPO. This shouldn't had any effect on the
permissions on the folder, since they were already in place, but the problem
was fixed.

Vadim Rapp