Install Old Hard Drive as Slave??

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by felderbush001@yahoo.com, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have an old hard drive from a windows 98 machine that I would like to
    install as a slave on my newer xp machine. The xp hard drive has two
    partitions: partition 1 has the system files and is labeled C with an
    NTFS file system. Partition 2 has the recovery files and is labeled D
    with a FAT32 file system. My newer (xp) machine is an HP and is about
    three years old. The old machine is about 7 years old and I believe it
    was a FAT32.

    Could I just simply set the drive on my new xp machine as master and
    install the old win98 drive as slave? There is a 40pin slot on my xp's
    ide cable for a slave. It's even marked "slave". I'm concerned about
    the machine booting with two different operating systems. I have no
    boot disk for the xp machine, just recovery cd's. I also assume the
    bios will automatically detect the old drive as a slave. I hope so
    because I'm not too confident working beneath windows. Also, the (xp)
    drive letters I have in windows explorer are A,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J. What
    letter would the slave drive be assigned?

    Any forseeable problems doing this?

    I mainly want my old hard drive on the new system to get some old
    documents and multimedia. Then I could possibly format it and use it to
    store multimedia. The old system will no longer boot because of a bad
    bios chip. Otherwise I'd just burn the files I want and transfer them.

    Anyway, any input is much appreciated.
    -Felder

    , Dec 27, 2005

  2. Grinder Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an old hard drive from a windows 98 machine that I would like to
    > install as a slave on my newer xp machine. The xp hard drive has two
    > partitions: partition 1 has the system files and is labeled C with an
    > NTFS file system. Partition 2 has the recovery files and is labeled D
    > with a FAT32 file system. My newer (xp) machine is an HP and is about
    > three years old. The old machine is about 7 years old and I believe it
    > was a FAT32.
    >
    > Could I just simply set the drive on my new xp machine as master and
    > install the old win98 drive as slave? There is a 40pin slot on my xp's
    > ide cable for a slave. It's even marked "slave". I'm concerned about
    > the machine booting with two different operating systems. I have no
    > boot disk for the xp machine, just recovery cd's. I also assume the
    > bios will automatically detect the old drive as a slave. I hope so
    > because I'm not too confident working beneath windows. Also, the (xp)
    > drive letters I have in windows explorer are A,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J. What
    > letter would the slave drive be assigned?
    >
    > Any forseeable problems doing this?
    >
    > I mainly want my old hard drive on the new system to get some old
    > documents and multimedia. Then I could possibly format it and use it to
    > store multimedia. The old system will no longer boot because of a bad
    > bios chip. Otherwise I'd just burn the files I want and transfer them.
    >
    > Anyway, any input is much appreciated.

    If you look on the HD that's already in your XP machine, you'll probably
    find that it's set to "CS"--meaning "Cable Select." Do the same for
    your old hard drive, power it, and plug it into the Slave connector on
    your cable. If the HD in your XP machine is set to "Master" or
    "Single," make sure it's set to "Master" and set the old drive to "Slave."

    You should be good to go.

    Grinder, Dec 27, 2005

  3. kony Guest

    On 26 Dec 2005 16:56:51 -0800,
    wrote:

    >I have an old hard drive from a windows 98 machine that I would like to
    >install as a slave on my newer xp machine. The xp hard drive has two
    >partitions: partition 1 has the system files and is labeled C with an
    >NTFS file system. Partition 2 has the recovery files and is labeled D
    >with a FAT32 file system. My newer (xp) machine is an HP and is about
    >three years old. The old machine is about 7 years old and I believe it
    >was a FAT32.
    >
    >Could I just simply set the drive on my new xp machine as master and
    >install the old win98 drive as slave?

    yes, assuming you mean putting them both on same cable.
    Keep in mind that some HP systems have a couple vertical HDD
    mounting trays that may not cool the drives so well, even
    worse with 2 of them. This is one of the issues with small
    OEM systems that aren't necessarily sufficient for anything
    more than originally installed.

    >There is a 40pin slot on my xp's
    >ide cable for a slave. It's even marked "slave". I'm concerned about
    >the machine booting with two different operating systems.

    It should boot to the master by default. After you add the
    new drive, if you didn't already have an entry in the bios
    to select the boot drive, IF you then had the ability to
    boot the slave drive it would be a selection in the bios. In
    other words, just hook it up and try it. When system boots
    for first time, be hitting <F8> rapidly, not waiting around
    but immediately pressing it constantly so you're sure it
    gets to that menu. The point to this is that it will bring
    up the OS boot menu, and you can then see which OS it was
    about to boot, AND if it where trying to boot Win98, you
    could then either reset the machine and enter bios to make
    changes, or at least boot to safe mode instead of having
    WIn98 try to plug-n-play your entire newer system.

    That's just hypothetical though, generally speaking if you
    hook up the old Win98 drive as slave it would by default
    still boot to the master drive until you specifically change
    a setting if there is one.

    > I have no
    >boot disk for the xp machine, just recovery cd's.

    Personally, I'd google for some directions on making one.
    you may have most or all of the XP CD files on your hard
    drive right now, and if that's the case you might just need
    the boot sector for making a (semi-regular) OEM XP
    installation disc. I'd be anxious to do that if for no
    other reason, simply to wipe out all the crap that OEMs
    usually install and just start out with a clean, minimally
    bloated installation instead. Seems even if you uninstall
    that stuff you still have a few hundred MB additional
    clutter left behind not even counting system restore points.

    >I also assume the
    >bios will automatically detect the old drive as a slave. I hope so
    >because I'm not too confident working beneath windows. Also, the (xp)
    >drive letters I have in windows explorer are A,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J. What
    >letter would the slave drive be assigned?

    That's a lot of drive letters for having only one drive, I
    presume you have a multi-in-one card reader installed or you
    just really, really like lots of partitions. Anyway, yes
    the added drive will be slave if put on the middle of the
    cable and/or jumpered as slave. It may automatically bump
    your card reader letters back to allow the parittions on the
    old (newly added) drive. you can go into computer
    management and assign the specific drive letters you want
    for any of those items, which XP will then remember (but DOS
    would still enumerate them the old-fashioned way, each
    primary FAT parition per disc then each extended FAT
    partition per disc. If you don't work with dos it won't be
    an issue, assuming the OEM restoration CD can discriminate
    should the need ever arise to use those discs again...
    which I would "assume" it can do but I don't guarantee it,
    the safest route would be to unplug the newly added old
    drive's data cable should you ever use the restoration CD
    again- it certainly can't write to a drive that isn't even
    connected at the time.

    >Any forseeable problems doing this?

    Generally speaking, no. Usually you just hook it up and it
    works. If you have a problem just doing that, unplug the
    drive again and report back exactly what happened.

    >I mainly want my old hard drive on the new system to get some old
    >documents and multimedia. Then I could possibly format it and use it to
    >store multimedia. The old system will no longer boot because of a bad
    >bios chip. Otherwise I'd just burn the files I want and transfer them.

    Sounds like a plan, though I'd be cautious about relying on
    an old drive (depending on how old) for data storage, as
    they all have a finite lifespan... in other words, 'tis best
    to still make backups on removable media.

    kony, Dec 27, 2005

    Kony, many thanks for the comprehensive reply!
    Since my old pc took a dump I now routinely back up my media and
    documents.

    Thanks again for the reply,
    Felder

    , Dec 27, 2005