Install Error - Required data was not placed into memory error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Installation' started by Guest, Apr 25, 2006.

    I'm trying to install Vista Feb CTP onto a blank unformatted HDD. The DVD
    boots up ok but when I click on the install button - it takes me to the
    window where you enter the product key and the following dialog appears :-

    setup.exe - Application Error
    Instruction at 0x1fee7a6d referenced memory at 0x0329bd0f. The required
    data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000010.

    I've seen a few posts about it being picky on how Vista is installed. I
    managed it on a different machine ok but I can't be certain whether the other
    machine had a formatted HDD or not.

    On a slightly different note - if I get this installed, I have an XP install
    on a different physical disk. Is it possible to add the XP to Vista's OS
    bootup menu option.

    Any assistance would be most appreciated.

    Guest, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Hi Mark,

    Windows Vista currently does not support installing on RAW disk, please
    install on a logical NTFS partition. I think you should have the option
    though during setup to use the SHIFT + F10 and partition the drive and
    select the partition to install the OS.

    If you are dual booting with XP, you should be able to find your legacy
    version of Windows (XP) under the Earlier Versions of Windows menu. Vista
    defaults to Microsoft Windows on the Boot Manager, use the Up Arrow on your
    keyboard to navigate.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 26, 2006

    Hi,

    I've just tried this on a different machine with a blank HDD (unformatted)
    and it works fine. There are options to partition and format the disk after
    the product key dialog. I was thinking unsupported or faulty hardware
    (possibly the DVD drive) although my XP runs no problems!! Any ideas?

    Hardware specs as follows :-

    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe M/Board
    P4 3.0Ghz
    1GB RAM (OCZ DDR400)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Video Card
    2 x 80GB Maxtor SATA HDD

    Many thanks ...

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    Jason Guest

    Isn't there a selection for maybe 3rd party drivers on that same screen?
    Maybe it needs some added support for your HDD.

    --
    Jason

    Applied but still waiting to be accepted for the Vista Beta Testing group.
    Can't wait to be able to play and help make it even better.

    http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=878

    Jason, Apr 26, 2006

    Fixed it. It was the DVD drive itself that was playing up. I've switched it
    for another drive and it has all installed ok.

    Thanks ...

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006