Install error after domain name change

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by ChrisB, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. ChrisB

    ChrisB Guest

    I'm using VC .NET 2002 to generate an MSI for my
    application.

    We store the .msi on a network share so that workstations
    may install from a central location.

    Everything has been working great until my company
    decided to change domain names. This domain name change
    really freaks the MSI installer out. Now when anyone
    tries to install the same .MSI from the same share, the
    installer issues the message:

    "The advertised application will not be installed because
    it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change
    the installation user interface option of the package to
    basic."

    I'm the administrator and I have no idea what this
    means. Furthermore, we cannot uninstall the application
    because the installer gives this same message--truly
    annoying! So we can't get by this issue.

    All workstations have administrative access so this is
    not the problem.

    Can anybody help?

    Thanks!

    ChrisB, Mar 10, 2004

  2. That error message is specific to Visual Studio generated packages. Visual
    Studio specifically requires that packages created using it be deployed with
    only a basic UI interface through software deployment. And the Installer isn't
    "getting freaked out", it's actually doing what the package tells it to do.

    If you take a look at your MSI using a tool like Orca, you should find the
    following in the Property table:

    VSDUIANDADVERTISED This advertised application will not be installed because it
    might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user
    interface option of the package to basic.

    If you then go to the CustomAction table, you'll find the following row for a
    type 19 custom action that makes use of this error message:

    ERRCA_UIANDADVERTISED 19 [VSDUIANDADVERTISED]

    If you then look in your InstallUISequence table, you'll find the following row:
    ERRCA_UIANDADVERTISED ProductState=1 1

    This custom action will fire whenever the ProductState value is 1 which means
    whenever the product is advertised. So if you attempt to execute the package in
    full UI mode, your installation will fail if the product has been advertised.
    This is the situation when you assign or publish an application using Group
    Policy - Software Deployment.

    The Visual Studio created package requires that when deploying the package, you
    choose "Basic" as the user interface option instaead of "Maximum". This is
    usually requires selecting "Advanced Deployment" and then on the Deployment tab
    choosing the UI level.

    Hope this helps,
    - Carolyn Napier
    Microsoft Windows Installer Team

    purposes only.

    MSI FAQ:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx>

    Carolyn Napier [MSFT], Mar 11, 2004

  3. ChrisB

    schnautzr

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm having the same problem here on a Windows XP SP2 system. I just ran a System Repair...would this have affected it?

    I installed Super Orca and the tags were exactly as you assumed they were in Chris's case.

    I'm not sure where this "Basic", "Maximum", and Deployment tab are, or how to access them, but I do know that the program works on some computers and not others.

    What settings need changed in order for the msi to launch, and how in the world do I get to them?

    Edit: I was able to install by logging into another profile. Both are administrators...what difference did that make?

    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    schnautzr, Nov 6, 2008
  4. ChrisB

    csteddy