    background but same thing happens.

    Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
    Patti

    Patti Barden, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Hi Patti.

    Is the picture truly oval, or did it start out as a rectangular photo that you
    cropped into an oval shape? If it is the latter, then there is still a
    rectangular background that you can't see, and that's why Word is wrapping text
    around it as though the photo were square.

    But there is a way to create a truly oval shape that Word *will* tightly wrap
    text around. On the Drawing toolbar, there is an Oval autoshape tool. Use it
    to draw an oval shape of your choice. Adjust the height and width of the oval
    to the final size you need before continuing to the next step. Click on Format
    | Autoshape | Wrapping tab | Wrapping style: Tight. Click on the Colors and
    Lines tab, then on the black triangle to the right of the Fill Color box, and in
    the drop-down menu click on Fill Effects. Click on the Picture tab, and then
    the Select Picture button. Browse to your photo file (the original one would
    probably be better, but the oval one might work). Click on OK. The oval shape
    you drew is now filled with the photo you selected. At this point you can still
    reposition the oval shape, but resizing the shape non-proportionally will
    distort the inserted photo.

    Hope this helps. garfield-n-odie

    garfield-n-odie, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Just a suggestion to add to g-n-o's excellent instructions: to make sure
    that your oval AutoShape is the same shape as your oval photo (since any
    difference will cause distortion in the photo when you use it as fill), you
    might want to insert the photo (in line with text) and use it as a guide
    when drawing the AutoShape. After you get the oval tweaked to the right
    shape, you can delete the photo.

    This technique is such a clever one that I really kicked myself when I first
    learned of it--*after* I had laboriously masked and trimmed a bunch of
    scanned oval photos and been unable to apply borders to them except by
    drawing AutoShapes over them!

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Patti Barden

    Patti Barden Guest

    Thanks Suzanne, very, very helpful instruction.
    Patti

    "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <> wrote in message
    > Just a suggestion to add to g-n-o's excellent instructions: to make sure
    > that your oval AutoShape is the same shape as your oval photo (since any
    > difference will cause distortion in the photo when you use it as fill),

    you
    > might want to insert the photo (in line with text) and use it as a guide
    > when drawing the AutoShape. After you get the oval tweaked to the right
    > shape, you can delete the photo.
    >
    > This technique is such a clever one that I really kicked myself when I

    first
    > learned of it--*after* I had laboriously masked and trimmed a bunch of
    > scanned oval photos and been unable to apply borders to them except by
    > drawing AutoShapes over them!
    >
    > --
    > Suzanne S. Barnhill
    > Microsoft MVP (Word)
    > Words into Type
    > Fairhope, Alabama USA
    > Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
    > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup

    so

    Patti Barden, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Patti Barden

    Patti Barden Guest

    Thanks, great. I had tried fiddling with shapes but never got the right
    formula. Thanks again. Patti

    Patti Barden, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Patti Barden

    Bhussy

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    wrapping text

    hi,
    okay we got the picture into the oval form as directed, so how do we wrap the text around it now?
    this is a memorial card and we want to wrap text around the top and bottom of the oval.
    we tried putting it in word art, but it still doesn't wrap nicely around the top and we can't get the bottom to wrap at all - it just makes the text larger and larger in the word art box

    Bhussy, Oct 24, 2010