Incessant firewall alerts!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Dugg80, Oct 30, 2009.

  1. Dugg80

    Dugg80 Guest

    Incessant firewall alerts!

    Hello all

    I hope you can help me with my problem as I am going nuts! the firewall is
    picking a lot of 'Alerts!' with the
    below information (had to remove IPs - 'attackers' and our public IP)

    SOURCE PORT DESTINATION PORT
    11646 Unassigned 5138 Unassigned
    11653 Unassigned 4344 VinaInstall
    13373 Unassigned 5616 Unassigned
    13378 Unassigned 7520 Unassigned
    53644 PRIVATE 5276 Unassigned
    15726 Unassigned 6306 Unassigned
    64567 PRIVATE 4412 Unassigned
    1791 EA1 7552 Unassigned
    2424 KOFAX-SVR 5374 Unassigned
    2433 codasrv-se 5742 IDA Discover Port 2
    58605 PRIVATE 6090 Unassigned

    The source port on the left, is being reported in the same event with the
    destination port on the right...

    Can anyone tell me what is this about?? is this some sort of hacking or
    simply port scans?

    Thanks a lot

    Dugg80, Oct 30, 2009

  2. Dugg80

    squirltok Guest

    Dugg80 wrote:
    > Incessant firewall alerts!
    >
    > Hello all
    >
    > I hope you can help me with my problem as I am going nuts! the firewall is
    > picking a lot of 'Alerts!' with the
    > below information (had to remove IPs - 'attackers' and our public IP)
    >
    > SOURCE PORT DESTINATION PORT
    > 11646 Unassigned 5138 Unassigned
    > 11653 Unassigned 4344 VinaInstall
    > 13373 Unassigned 5616 Unassigned
    > 13378 Unassigned 7520 Unassigned
    > 53644 PRIVATE 5276 Unassigned
    > 15726 Unassigned 6306 Unassigned
    > 64567 PRIVATE 4412 Unassigned
    > 1791 EA1 7552 Unassigned
    > 2424 KOFAX-SVR 5374 Unassigned
    > 2433 codasrv-se 5742 IDA Discover Port 2
    > 58605 PRIVATE 6090 Unassigned
    >
    > The source port on the left, is being reported in the same event with the
    > destination port on the right...
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what is this about?? is this some sort of hacking or
    > simply port scans?
    >
    > Thanks a lot

    I always turn off alerts. The alerts show the firewall is working as
    expected.

    Keep windows up to date and with the firewall and not installing
    trojans and such there should be little to nothing that is a real
    threat. Try this though, having nothing connected to the internet,
    like browsers, email clients etc, do netstat in a command prompt and
    see if something is connected to or tryingto connect to a 'foreign'
    address. Not the localhost 'foreign address' but an actual remote
    address,

    But seriously, even if somebody was trying to hack, it don't mean
    shit. A computer here that I rarely use was connecting to a hundred
    unsolicited addresses and hour, had trojans obviously trying to
    download trojans. Studied what it was doing for a bit and wiped the
    drive and reinstalled windows, no big deal.

    Try linux for a while and come back to windows and understand the hype
    windows creates about security concerns. Try pclinux as a live cd.
    Install it if you like it.

    squirltok, Nov 2, 2009