inaccessable boot sector on HDD from working W2K PC

Derek Winters

I have a working P3 PC running W2K. The HDD is
partitioned into 2 volumes and not a dynamic disk. I want
to take the drive out and stick it in a new IBM PC as the
bootable drive. It works OK as a secondary drive but when
I make it the Primary Master (bootable) drive I get the
error INACCESSABLE BOOT SECTOR. Placed back in the P3
PC it works fine.
WHY?

Rick

Derek Winters said:
I have a working P3 PC running W2K. The HDD is
partitioned into 2 volumes and not a dynamic disk. I want
to take the drive out and stick it in a new IBM PC as the
bootable drive. It works OK as a secondary drive but when
I make it the Primary Master (bootable) drive I get the
error INACCESSABLE BOOT SECTOR. Placed back in the P3
PC it works fine.
WHY?

Because unless the IDE controllers are identical in the old and
new system, Win2K is not going to have a proper driver installed
for the new controller.

Rick

Wolf Kirchmeir

I have a working P3 PC running W2K. The HDD is
partitioned into 2 volumes and not a dynamic disk. I want
to take the drive out and stick it in a new IBM PC as the
bootable drive. It works OK as a secondary drive but when
I make it the Primary Master (bootable) drive I get the
error INACCESSABLE BOOT SECTOR. Placed back in the P3
PC it works fine.
WHY?

Because MS designed this flaw into W2K. Why did they do that? So no one could
simply copy the system files from on HD to another, and put the 2nd HD in
another machine, since that would tempt people to not pay the additional
license fee.... It also makes it a {PITA to install W2K remotely to a whole
network of different PCs. but that's another issue, dealt with on another NG.

The following post from Bruce Chambers will help you. NB: bookmark
support.microsoft,com - you'll need it again.

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Re: New Computer, but W2K refuses to run
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:43:17 -0600

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't
forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different
Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q2
49694

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

----
having both at once. -- RAH

David said:
I just built a new computer - Athlon2.6 Ghz. When I tried
to swap my current, and not old, hard drive into my new
machine it won't run. I reinstall back into my old
computer, Duron 1 Ghz, and the operating system works
fine. A reinstall into the new machine still causes
problems and I cannot even go into safe-mode without a
crash. Any ideas to assist this migration without
reformatting?

Thank you,

David

--