    advice or suggestion?
    P.S: even Scopus has an option to export bibliography as a document of MS
    word, even that doesn’t work as well.

    Nima, Apr 15, 2009

  2. Nima

    Yves Dhondt Guest

    There are a couple of free utitlities that you can use:

    1)BibUtils: http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/
    Converts between the most common bibliographic formats. The downside is that
    it uses an intermediate format (MODS) to do the conversion. Hence, there is
    dual data loss, once from converting the original to MODS and once more from
    converting MODS to the open xml bibliographic format.

    2)BibTex2Word2007:
    http://sdudah.googlepages.com/bibtex2word2007bibliographyconverter
    An AWK script (so you probably will need cygwin installed) to convert
    directly from BibTeX to open xml.

    3)bib2word07xml: http://bib2word07xml.codeplex.com/
    Based on BibTex2Word2007 but with less functionality. It is a C# program and
    therefore probably won't need any fancy installing. It converts BibTeX
    entries to open xml.

    4)Reference Manager:
    http://ragrawal.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/releasing-reference-manager-beta-for-word-2007/
    This is an add-on for Word 2007. I haven't had time to use it myself, but
    from its description it seems the most capable one. The importing directly
    from a website might be malfunctioning though as it looks like he is
    currently doing 'extensive' data mining of the page rather than taking a
    direct link to the citation. So a change in the page structure might make
    the retrieval fail. There also seems to be no way to import multiple
    citations at once or preview the conversion result.

    Yves
    --
    http://bibliography.codeplex.com

    Yves Dhondt, Apr 15, 2009

  3. Nima

    bingo Guest

    The reference manager import utility is not based on site scrapping
    but uses a two step process. Most online journals provides links to
    download metadata into bibtex, RIS or other standard formats. I use
    regex functions to find proper document id and use these links to get
    metadata information and import it in word. However, I liked your
    suggestion of preview and I will try to roll it out in next release of
    reference manager.

    Regards

    bingo, May 16, 2009
  4. Nima

    bingo Guest

    @importing multiple references
    you can paste a bibtex or RIS file with multiple articles and it will
    import all of them.

    bingo, May 16, 2009
  5. Nima

    timtak

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2005
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    The import utility for word 2007
    4)Reference Manager:
    http://ragrawal.wordpress.com/2009/0...for-word-2007/
    is very good thank you.

    Alas, I don't think that it works with Word 2010 and the developer
    has stopped developing it.

    I had a look at bibtex but it does not seem to extend import but
    rather the variety and complexity of styles.

    I have endnote somewhere but my students do not.
    And alas they have word 2010.

    Tim

    timtak, Jan 30, 2012