IIS7: *.asp = 404

Discussion in 'Microsoft ASP .NET' started by Paul Prewett, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett Guest

    I have a new machine with Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I'm coming from an
    XP Pro x86 and I'm trying to get my development websites running on the new
    machine.

    IIS7 installed with no errors including ASP.NET, Windows Authentication, and
    all of the IIS 6 Compat items. If I browse to http://localhost, I get the
    nice welcome message. If I drop an htm file on the root, I can browse it no
    problem. When I attempt to browse any aspx file, I get a 404. The 404 is
    coming from .NET (i.e. it's the "Server Error in '/' Application" error) so
    I know I'm getting at least as far as the framework.

    The application pool is set to run Classic Managed Pipeline Mode. Identity
    of the app pool is Network Service. Framework version 2.0.

    I have run aspnet_regiis -u, -i, etc... until I'm blue in the face. It
    seems that the only one that works well is the one in the Framework64
    folder, which I guess is to be expected. When I try to run the one in the
    regular Framework folder, I get a message that tells me that IIS is not
    installed.

    I have uninstalled IIS altogether, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, and then
    rerun the aspnet_regiis again... still no love. I get exactly the same
    behavior no matter what I do.

    I even tried reinstalling the .NET Framework 2.0 altogether, but Vista64
    disallowed that saying that it was already installed as part of the OS.

    What am I missing, folks? Thanks for any direction you can provide.

    Paul Prewett, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett Guest

    Re: *.asp = 404

    Of course, the title should be *.aspx = 404

    asp is working fine.

    Paul Prewett, Feb 28, 2008