If you are fed up with windows read this

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This would possibly be more suitable in the Linux section.

Yup I am fed up with Windows. Mainly because I have yet to finish building me Skylake rig so I am fed up with pc's software. os's, gaming, retailers, delivery companies, returns and all sorts of stuff.:cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In answer to the question posed in the thread's title: No, I'm not :)

But I have decided that January will be the month I switch from 7 to 10.

I anticipate frustration, annoyance, glitches, confusion, lost save games, instances of non-working software, instances of non-working hardware; driver problems and a partridge in a pear tree.

In fact, just why the hell am I going to do this? :confused: ;)

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
You're unlikely to experience any of those things. It's the smoothest experience I've had with Windows since, I dunno, 2000.

Reaction score
Will 2016 be the Year of the Linux Desktop? :D

I could be wrong but I think because of the data mining issue and possible annual subscription there will be many who will leave the Microsoft fold, especially now that there are many easy to use Linux distro's out there, my favorite Linux Mint and Zorin, Ubuntu and many others which makes it easy to move over also the cost of other software which in MS you have to pay for usually a annual cost Linux nothing.

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
It's a great operating system. I've been trying out every now and then since around 2000, and it certainly has come a long way. However, unless all one uses the PC for is surfing the web and sending email, I'm not convinced it's ready for non-techie users. Even the most basic issues - which should not be issues to begin with - tend to have overly complicated CLI-only solutions.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CLI, for those not that savvy, stands for 'Command Line Interface' or to put it simply - Windows users having to come to terms with the command console within Linux distros and the language used therein.

Yes, unless you study this language a great deal, with particular reference to your own Distro's unique language quirks, it can be a little daunting. However, if you can access the internet with your Linux Distro and know how to copy and paste or use a pencil and notepad, the web is awash with all the information you're likely to need.

And the average Joe will very rarely have to access the console anyway.

I have been reading lots about Win 10 and there are lots of negative writings. It would seem if you disable their automatic updates it becomes very aggressive and in-your-face about 'reminding' you to load their updates. And it seems Microsoft doesn't like some software programs (CPU-Z for one) and will cripple it for you. This is only what I read, how true it is I know not.

And bootsy, MS are not charging an annual subscription just yet, the day they start that crapola if ever they do, is the day I abandon Windows 10 and use a version of Win 7 just for games. Also, this data mining, as you call it, Apple have been doing that for years and so do lots of online programs you will use, like search engines for instance. I'm not condoning it, I loathe it, but it's a fact. Microsoft are not alone in collecting personal data, everybody out there wants to sell you something and take your money.

If people do abandon Windows for Linux it will a very gradual migration as the greater majority of people who use computers are not that familiar with the deeper working of operating systems, they just want something that is useful to them and easy to use. Windows, and it's associated expensive software, fulfils that need. Unfortunately ;)

Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean about CLI as I am grappling with that at the moment, one of my Christmas presents was a book on CLI and have started to read it and having a go. I have backed my PC just in case.:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I tried to switch recently, but eventually returned to Windows due to missing features/apps. I'll probably try to switch once again soon, taking the time to prepare some sort of dual-boot scenario. My desire to switch was primarily due to my increasing dissatisfaction with the "ecosystem" philosophy behind Windows 10 - and OS X for that matter. I don't wear tinfoil and don't really care if Company X indexes my email for targeted advertising, but I like to own devices of a variety of platforms, and prefer to seek cross-platform solutions. Also, I've noticed that even with all the "phone home" options disabled at install, the system has services which keep using bandwidth frequently even when the system is just sitting idle. Again, I'm not worried about security particularly, I am just beginning to be of the opinion that if I don't install something or turn on a switch to enable the system to perform a specific function (especially an online one), it shouldn't happen.

Upon installing Linux, however, I found that there were a variety of missing apps and features, and some quirky issues. I spent entire evenings working on solutions for one after the other, and I just don't have that kind of time. The application menu responded a bit sluggishly unless AMD's own gfx drivers were installed. Installing Plex was no issue, but using it was, because Plex Media Server requires writing permissions for a "plex" user for media files, and every time I would copy files over to the Plex media folders I would have to run chown/chmod to the files so that the software could use them. For reasons unknown, the file manager had no functionality for changing file permissions, and the applet for Users & Groups could only be used to view them, not change them. Okay, once that was set up, it worked pretty well, I just had to run a batch file every time I added more files. On the flip side, I could use Javascript to add a menu item onto a system tray icon to run it for me, which was amazingly cool. I was, however, less enamored with the way the entire screen would turn into a garbled soup of colours each time I disabled the HDMI-connected TV which acted as a second monitor for Plex.

Since iTunes cannot satisfactorily run on Wine, my AppleTV was more or less dead as far as streaming goes. I also could not sync anything onto my iPhone or iPad. These are not really Linux failures as such because Apple's system is extremely closed and it's difficult if not impossible to write apps to work with these devices. However, I doubt I am alone at owning devices such as these since there are no Linux streaming devices or Linux phones.

There are missing apps, however, such as no Evernote client, nor a Wunderlist client (lol... really?). Well there's a big part of my current workflow out the window, unless I can live with using the browser for them. I found three unofficial Evernote ones, two of which were discontinued and the third was a text-based console client that had to be compiled on the system manually, which I failed to manage due to it requiring an older version of some library. I also could not use my money budgeting tool, YNAB, because there's no Adobe Air support. (This may have since changed since YNAB has turned into a web solution.)

Even with these missing features, though, there is a great deal of freedom there. It was nice running a system that, when it was idle, it was actually idle. Also, font smoothing is still far superior on Linux and Mac - Windows looks terrible in comparison.

Ask a Question