iexplore.exe remains in memory even after closing IE

Rahul Kulkarni

Hi.

The process iexplore.exe remains in memory, as seen in
Task Manager, even after closing the IE window. The
processes go on accumulating and affect my browsing speed
in any new IE windows. In fact, then some of the
hyperlinks don't open and cause that window to hang.

Actually a similar behaviour is seen with Adobe Acrobat
Reader 5 window. The acrord32.exe process remains in
memory even after closing the Acrobat window.

I'm experiencing this for a few weeks now. It started
without any apparent change in network settings. I've
tried enabling and disabling Java console. I couldn't
find anything relevant on the Microsoft Support site.

Is there any way to see what the residual process is
doing - whether its connecting to some URL or waiting for
some OS-level activity to finish.

TIA.

Don Varnau

Hi,
I had the problem of Adobe Reader remaining as a running process. It stopped
either because I upgraded to Adobe Reader 6 or because I unchecked (Adobe
Reader> Edit> Preferences> Internet... "Display PDF in browser" and "Check
browser settings when starting reader."

Malware can also keep IE running. Work through the solutions (CWShredder,
Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Rahul Kulkarni" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Rahul Kulkarni

Thanks Dan,