IBM Thinkpad Bios Password

Reaction score
Hey,

My flatmate wants me to get his old IBM Thinkpad (approx 5 years old) up and running. Switched it on last night and it has a bios password on it, which obviously, he cant remember!! :) Why are things never simple?!!

Ive had a hunt around on the net and although ive cleared CMOS a hundred times with the old removing the 2032 battery, ive never done it on a laptop. And more importantly, i have read a few things on the net that say IBM Thinkpads lock the HD when using a BIOS password.

Im not going to be able to attempt this til tonight after work at the earliest any way, was just wondering if anyone had experience of this and any tips? Are there jumpers/dip switches on thinkpads?

Cheers ma deers.

Bodhi

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
there are programs that are supposed to remove BIOS passwords but i wouldn't try it until someone that knows whether it affects the HD see's this

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry it is not possible to clear the bios password. One solution is to replace the mobo, second take it to IBM to have it changed but they will need proof of purchase, meaning they want confirmation that you are legally the owner. In both cases I don't see this being the possibility.

You may curse IBM for making things difficult but you would be praising them if you lost your laptop with confidential and important data which others should be kept away from.

I would never opt for an IBM laptop if the passwords are not cleared and user configurable.

Please do not try the method you use for desktops, it would not work and will just waste your time. ;)

Ask a Question