    I have much less experience with Intel systems than with AMD. So
    can anyone please tell me if the latest drivers can enable
    1440x900 with this chip?

    pimpom, Mar 25, 2010

  2. pimpom

    noi ance Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:21:07 +0530, pimpom typed this message:

    > My wife's been complaining that images on the LCD monitor of her office
    > computer are stretched horizontally - obviously a case of aspect ratio
    > mismatch. She gave me the model number of her monitor over the phone and
    > the specs say that its native resolution is 1440x900. But when I tried
    > to guide her through the display settings, she said that 1440x900 is not
    > among the available resolutions (she'd been using 1024x768). I got her
    > to check Device Manager (Win XP) which told us that it's an i845G
    > graphics controller. Driver version unknown (it's night here and she's
    > at home now).
    >
    > I have much less experience with Intel systems than with AMD. So can
    > anyone please tell me if the latest drivers can enable 1440x900 with
    > this chip?

    she should make sure the monitor pre-loaded resolution matches to the vga
    card resolution. i845G should match most monitor res.

    noi ance, Mar 25, 2010

  3. pimpom

    Paul Guest

    pimpom wrote:
    > My wife's been complaining that images on the LCD monitor of her
    > office computer are stretched horizontally - obviously a case of
    > aspect ratio mismatch. She gave me the model number of her
    > monitor over the phone and the specs say that its native
    > resolution is 1440x900. But when I tried to guide her through the
    > display settings, she said that 1440x900 is not among the
    > available resolutions (she'd been using 1024x768). I got her to
    > check Device Manager (Win XP) which told us that it's an i845G
    > graphics controller. Driver version unknown (it's night here and
    > she's at home now).
    >
    > I have much less experience with Intel systems than with AMD. So
    > can anyone please tell me if the latest drivers can enable
    > 1440x900 with this chip?

    You're really at the mercy of Intel and whatever they provide for
    drivers.

    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028366.htm

    You can start with the downloadcenter, then read the release
    notes to see what they decided to support.

    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9034&ProdId=757&lang=eng

    (Release note for that driver)
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9034/ENG/relnotes.htm

    I tried looking in the download package itself, but don't see a
    list of supported resolutions in there. Your wife could try updating
    the 845 graphics driver, and that is about the best you can do
    (short of plugging in a separate graphics card).

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2010
  4. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > pimpom wrote:
    >> My wife's been complaining that images on the LCD monitor of
    >> her
    >> office computer are stretched horizontally - obviously a case
    >> of
    >> aspect ratio mismatch. She gave me the model number of her
    >> monitor over the phone and the specs say that its native
    >> resolution is 1440x900. But when I tried to guide her through
    >> the
    >> display settings, she said that 1440x900 is not among the
    >> available resolutions (she'd been using 1024x768). I got her
    >> check Device Manager (Win XP) which told us that it's an i845G
    >> graphics controller. Driver version unknown (it's night here
    >> and
    >> she's at home now).
    >>
    >> I have much less experience with Intel systems than with AMD.
    >> So
    >> can anyone please tell me if the latest drivers can enable
    >> 1440x900 with this chip?
    >>

    > You're really at the mercy of Intel and whatever they provide
    > for
    > drivers.
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028366.htm
    >
    > You can start with the downloadcenter, then read the release
    > notes to see what they decided to support.
    >
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx
    >
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9034&ProdId=757&lang=eng
    >
    > (Release note for that driver)
    > http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9034/ENG/relnotes.htm
    >
    > I tried looking in the download package itself, but don't see a
    > list of supported resolutions in there.

    That's the problem. I'd already checked those pages before
    posting my question here, but they weren't much help. I can't
    make a trial installation at home as all my computers are
    AMD-NVidia.

    > Your wife could try updating
    > the 845 graphics driver, and that is about the best you can do

    I didn't think of checking the dates of those drivers earlier. I
    just did and the drivers and release notes are dated June 2005!
    I'm pretty sure her computer is not that old. Which means that
    there's a good chance she already has the latest (2005) driver.

    > (short of plugging in a separate graphics card).

    I mentioned that to her today and she said that she will order a
    graphics card from supply. I'll have to walk her through the
    process of identifying her motherboard tomorrow. ATM I don't know
    if she has AGP or PCI-E. Or is the 845G limited to either AGP or
    PCI-E? If so, which one?

    pimpom, Mar 25, 2010
  5. pimpom

    Paul Guest

    pimpom wrote:

    >> (short of plugging in a separate graphics card).

    > I mentioned that to her today and she said that she will order a
    > graphics card from supply. I'll have to walk her through the
    > process of identifying her motherboard tomorrow. ATM I don't know
    > if she has AGP or PCI-E. Or is the 845G limited to either AGP or
    > PCI-E? If so, which one?

    It is AGP.

    To be clear here, there can be motherboards with 845G and 845GV.
    The difference would be, 845GV ("graphics value") has no AGP slot
    on it. The 845G would have an AGP slot. The manufacturer saves
    a few pennies, by using the 845GV. A quick visual check inside
    the computer, can clear up whether an AGP connector is available
    or not.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

    If the chipset is actually 845G, the AGP slot can run at 4X speed.
    And that would be operating at 1.5V. You can get more information
    here, about which cards will work with that.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    Not all modern AGP cards are listed there. The author of that page,
    has not added the "bridged" AGP cards that have been developed
    more recently. There are two bridge chips, Rialto from ATI and
    HSI from Nvidia. Those chips convert a PCI Express graphics chip
    to operate with an AGP slot. Nvidia has stopped production of HSI,
    so any cards available at this date, would be using stockpiled
    HSI chips. (It is possible that IBM was making the HSI chips for
    Nvidia.) The equivalent at ATI is the Rialto.

    This would be an example of a bridged ATI card:

    ATI Radeon X1950 Pro Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card

    This would be an example of a bridged Nvidia card:

    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card

    An 845G motherboard would be "AGP 1.5V Motherboard" and works
    with "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card" cards. So you can use
    bridged cards if you happen to find some. So if the motherboard
    has the elusive AGP connector, you can plug just about
    anything in there.

    On a bridged ATI card, Rialto is on the back of the card, and is
    surrounded by pink colored protective material. The pink material
    may be covering resistors or capacitors on the chip package surface.
    It is there to prevent damage, when the card is placed on a table.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-102-862-Z04?$S640W$

    Nvidia cards place the HSI on the front. The HSI bridge in this
    example, is under the rectangular heatsink.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-143-102-S03?$S640W$

    There are still a number of older Nvidia AGP chips used on
    video cards. Those are real AGP chips, which don't use the
    HSI bridge. You won't find the additional heatsink on the
    front of the card. But in terms of performance, they would be
    many generations older than the current stuff.

    The main concern with really old cards, is DVI interface rate.
    Chances are, if your wife's computer has a VGA connector, then
    you have nothing to worry about. But a lot of cheap LCD monitors
    now, are DVI only. Some of the oldest graphics chips, have DVI
    interfaces that run at 135MHz max. The specification says they should
    run up to 165MHz, for full resolution. Cards with the "defective"
    interfaces, have a limitation in the driver. The supported
    resolution may not be stated in the documentation. In the
    examples I picked here, the odds are good that any card can
    do 1440 x 900 on DVI.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

    WXGA+ (1440 x 900) @ 60 Hz (107 MHz)
    UXGA (1600 x 1200) @ 60 Hz with GTF blanking (161 MHz) <---- substandard card
    can't do this on DVI

    Now, if we move forward, and look at the most modern (bridged)
    AGP cards for sale, the issue with those, is driver quality.
    In some cases, you can only get one decent driver for the card.
    One point of view, is that is good enough. But the level of
    support for modern AGP cards, doesn't particularly give me
    a warm feeling.

    Reading the comments from customers, about the AGP cards, will
    give you some idea how hard a particular card is to work with.
    This would be an example of a high end ATI bridged card. The DVI
    connector on some of these newer cards, is dual link capable,
    which means they can run an Apple 30" DVI monitor. That is, as
    long as you don't have driver problems.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814161284

    So that is a basic overview of what to expect.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2010