I would like some oppinions on my new PC choice

Reaction score
hello,
after having my PC for a few years (roughly 4 now) and getting what i realise now as a terrible deal on it (being from time computors coupled by the fact it was just before a boom in technology.)
I would like to try and get a more informed decision this time (after about 6 months trying again with Time Computors to receive the completely wrong equipment once it was sent and told "it was a sister company known as time upgrade or some such who made the deal and were not going to rectify the mistakes)
before i go on any further my current specifications are:

800mhz athlon duron cpu
27 gb HD (i was told it was going to be 30 but i was fobbed off about partition and i didnt really understand at the time)
128mb of SD RAM (no idea of the specific type added another 128mb not long back that was free)
built in RIVA TNT2 model 64, 32mb version (just incase there are more versions o_o; )
19" samsung 95p plus monitor (i love this to peices, hi resolutions easy to install and so very clear)
a pair of very rubbish time speakers (that did ofcourse break a small time after the paid for suport ended)
no network card (i supplied my own realtek one later)
56k modem built in (soon scrapped that for my horrible speedtouch usb modem which drains all the power out of the USB ports and really doesnt like it if i plug in my portable mp3 player from archos)
built in SoundBlaster 128 (horribly crackly yuck)
motherboard (unsure what it is)

so yeah time for a upgrade i think o_o;; i thought it would be helpful if i mentioned what i use my PC for and the answer is games, but i play graphically demanding games not horribly dated things like counterstrike (dont hate me >_<) im not sure about anyone else but the back of MY box says half life runs on a pentium 133 and 24mb of ram.
I play games like Warcraft 3 and Command and Conqueror(sp?) generals, and even RPGS like lineage 2 (unreal 2003\4 engine) and everquest 2 are using alot more demanding hardware and i can just about handle tribes 2 torque engine (just) with the graphics down low planetside and even battlefeild 1942 are out of the question.

and so i stumbled across this from special reserve, i kinda like the company but it seems a bit odd they act like a suplier but have middlemen too....free gimics like the free stuff when you sign up seems like a bad sign but i really dont know about MAXX PC's which is who sells the PC here http://maxxpc.com/maxx-computers-GG2984.html

again the mention of "FREE BUNDLED SOFTWARE" which screams something nasty to me but its not the 1 million cd's time threw at me atleast and you can actually see what they are...

£900 seems like a ok price to me but then i clicked the extras button and made the screen the same one (CRT) but the 19" inch version (yay) additional 512mb of RAM (to make me a little future proof i hope o_o; ) and the SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT 128 MB AGP now i dont really know extreme amounts about the difrences here and i guess i should look at some benchmarks if im told i have to make my own decition on this but im told this card was just out to sell under HL2's name but with this all added it becomes £1,068.98

still seeming pretty water tight to me but htis is where i need the help of people who will really tell me if its any good un-biasedly, i think the way on the customise tab you can click for additional details and get all the important numbers they miss out on the main page make it easyer to see if they try and give you a geforce 4mx instead of a geforce 4 ti for example like Time Computors tried to do to me.

i do really really hope that this PC is of good quality as their payment plan is exactly what i am looking for but if its really a pile of junk i'd rather have to but it all peice by peice as of when i get the money for each part. i really apreciate any help with this and would be only too happy to give any additional information about my situation. spelling and grammer isnt my strong point as you might see being of a steriotypical essex persuasion
wow took so long writing this it signed me out o_o;

Reaction score
you probably could do better than that for £900

give me a list of what it HAS to include for that money?

if you want to place newer games on full settings in the future, you will want something more than 9600XT. You also may want a SATA hard drive to speed things up and maybe some dual channel memory in.

i will make a few configs for price comparing when i'm awake. Gosh you are up early.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"You could pay twice as much to get a PC half as good as the MAXX"

I don't think I'll read PC Guide ... you aint getting that much for your money and you certainly aint getting any FREE software. ;)

Have a read of this article, it will help.

Also have a read of this thread it will give an insight to what to look for.

I wouldn't bother with the company you've just looked at ... please, ask as many questions as you wish, we'll endeavour to lead you in the right direction AND price. :D

Reaction score
just had a thought - i am selling my computer (i doubt you know this being a new user) and it fits your requirements in both specification and price!

It would definatly perform better than the one you found at special reserve as it has dual channeled memory, dual SATA hard drives and a radeon 9800pro (kicks the 9600 in games)

Private message me if you are interested.

regards,
Chris Postill

Reaction score
as much as i really really apreciate the offer of buying your PC i really need to be on something with a payment plan. (there nothing but a ten precent deposit and then pay the rest in full after 6 months was the thing that caught my eye)

...but then i wanted something for a good price which im guessing wont come from a shop. i should have thought this through a bit more :(

if helping me is still salvageable though or if i can get the money somehow in a more solid form than "im saving at the moment" (lol) i just need something similar to the maxx one, no must haves here except a dvd drive! and make games look pwettyer than my tnt2 >_<

oh yeah i was up pretty early, really excited about the prospect of a new PC!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah right - finance.

I was looking too see what i could build you with my services that would be similar to the one you found on the net and you can save LOTS of money! heres what i put together...

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Edition
Intel P4 Prescott Edition 1mb Cache 3.0GHz
Corsair Value select PC3200 2x256Mb Dual Channel Package
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb AGP8x
120Gb S-ATA 7200rpm 8mb Maxtor D/Max
NEC 8x Dual format DVD burner in Black
Floppy Drive in Black
Black/Silver Midi Tower with Front USB, Firewire
420w Incuded with case
80mm Multi LED Fan Intake
80mm Multi LED Fan Exhaust
Arianet Wireless optical keyboard and mouse set Black and Silver
Value 240w Speaker system
Windows XP Home Edition
iiyama 17" black vision master 1403 Flat screen, Shadow masking
Rounded and Shielded FDD cable
Rounded and Shielded IDE cable
City Link next day delivery
£30 for my time and services

ALL of the above comes to £830 and that is including VAT.

shops are rubbish!

That would absolutely thrash the special reserve computer in umm... about EVERY way possible LOL!

Thats just a guide for you - if you see anything similar to that for a similar price then it may be worth a look.

regards
Chris

Reaction score
woah it hurts my head looking at that and im not sure where to add in the commas and full stops o_o;; and also where is all that from :blush:

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
just had a thought - i am selling my computer (i doubt you know this being a new user) and it fits your requirements in both specification and price!
I may have a buyer for your pc. What is the exact spec. and price and what warranty are you offering. PM me. I am in Winchester for the rest of the week, so might be able to collect (if price is right). A jpeg of the machine might help me to sell it.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If i were spending £900 on a PC i would at least expect:

3Ghz P4 or AMD 320064+
1gig DDR
120-200gig S-ATA
Ati 9800Pro/Geforce 5900Ultra
17inch TFT

I think thats pretty resonable, but then again if i had £900 i wouldnt blow it all on a PC ;).

Reaction score
speedtouch,

welcome to pcreview. first of all if you like your 19" monitor so much, why waste money on a new one? why not just buy the tower?

if your looking to buy from a manufacturer then consider MESH, Evesham, never used either but both get reasonable right ups.

why not have a look at their websites find a system without the monitor post back here and see what we think!

James

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My POV:

As Techy said above or, if you had cash, definitely Chris's machine, it's a good one, within your budget and will surpass anything offered by suppliers selling ready made systems.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Dude,

I say you build a computer to your own specification, then you can pay as little, or as much as you want. Buying PC isnt too difficult, but buying the right one for you IS!

Now you say you want to play the latest games, then i recommend an AMD Athlon 64 processor, it will be future proof and extremely game friendly! They retail for around £155 for the 3000 64, which is an overkill for any game!

Then you would like a nice Ati Radeon 9800pro, which you can pick up for around £135-£150, which is a complete and utter bargain by any gamers standards!

1 gig of ram is essential for all the latest games, and you dont want any of that generic make crap, go for crucial. 1 gig of that will set you back around £120 (PC3200).

As for storage, S-ATA is a must because its only around £5-£10 more than the slower predicessor ATA! 160 S-ATA will be around £70.

As for the rest (case, CD drives, floppy drives, soundcard, motherboards) i'll let the othere do that ;).

But i recommend building your own, as its good practice, and you dont have to rely on ther to fix your comp!

Reaction score
its very tempting to buy it in parts but its also very tempting to have it all now and pay later :p im really still weighing it up

as for my old computor my mum is going to steal it and learn how to use it o_o;; so um no using parts from that one im afraid!

as for a little progress note: wow doesnt it all start to add up when you remember to add things like the speakers and the fans and the little leads and all the things forgetful people like me forget to add on

also as a side thought where DO you all get your parts i think i might know but you can all let me in on the secret so i know if im right :p (doesnt look like special reserve at any rate)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
By far the best I’ve dealt with are Overclock.co.uk and Kustom PC’s although Kustom PC’s tend to be a bit pricey.

No complaints with Scan Dabs Chillblast Komplett and for Memory there’s Crucial’s own UK site Crucial

I’ve used, but had run-ins with Tekheads and Overclockers UK though I still use both.

I absolutely avoid like the plague because of problems too numerous to list here E-Buyer They’re cheap. Nuff said.

Also bought one-offs from Micro Direct and Aria

These sites are primarily online components suppliers although most stock complete systems. If purchasing a complete system, check out the software supplied, you want at least Windows XP Home and Microsoft Works, anything else is a bonus. Or a good Linux Distro ;)

There, that should give you enough to get your teeth into :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I only shop at CCL ... my one stop shop.

... EDITED ... see Flops post below. ;)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah yes, got an Iiyama Monitor from CCL a coupla years back, that wuz OK. But I had a lot of trouble RMA-ing a faulty Hercules Sound Card with them, put me right off, never used 'em again.

You know, that's the true test of an online supplier, how well they deal with a problem. That's why I like Overclock & Kustom. They are really both very, very, helpful.

But, we can all only go on our personal experiences and if you happen to cop some scumbag who ain't had leg-over for a week or two or something and is in a real foul mood, then I guess your luck just ain't in.

Not that that's any excuse, mind you, but I suppose we do have to consider the 'human' condition.

Oh, and CCL won't accept you as a dealer unless you're VAT registered. I know, I tried. 'Sole Trader' just don't cut the mustard with them. I placed an order for £900.00 worth of stuff with them from their 'trade' price list and was refused when I couldn't produce a VAT number.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SpeedTouch - that lil config i put together for you took 5 minutes of surfing on aria.co.uk

you may find things like the motherboards etc cheaper at places like overclockers but aria.co.uk do case and PSU bundles that really are quite good for a system like you want so you ultimatly save alot of money in delivery charges.

feel free to come back to me at anytime if you do get the cash and ask if my PC is still up for sale - you are assured by myself and everyone here that 100% of whats inside the case, INCLUDING the case is quality, performance parts. :) NOW WITH CATHODE LIGHTING

as for the little bits you talk about, cables are usually included in the motherboard box but in all systems i build i insist on using rounded IDE and FDD cables because they are easier to route, look neater, faster and make for better cooling and longevity of components.

Only build a computer if you know how as you could get big time stuck and then what?! lol

Chris

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh, and CCL won't accept you as a dealer unless you're VAT registered. I know, I tried. 'Sole Trader' just don't cut the mustard with them. I placed an order for £900.00 worth of stuff with them from their 'trade' price list and was refused when I couldn't produce a VAT number.
Sorry Flopps I never knew, I've always been VAT reg., that way I don't pay VAT, I just collect it for the Government. :blush:

Ask a Question