    but cannot find one in either the symbols or character map.

    Does anyone know where I can find a tick symbol to insert into my document?

    Many thanks

    rquigleysmith, Mar 15, 2008

  2. rquigleysmith

    Peter A Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am using Windows Vista, Microsoft Word 2007. I need to use a tick symbol
    > but cannot find one in either the symbols or character map.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can find a tick symbol to insert into my document?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Look in the Wingdings font in the Insert Symbol dialog box - you'll find
    one (I assume you mean a check mark).

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

    Peter A, Mar 15, 2008

  3. What we USians call a "check mark" can be found at character 252 in the
    Wingdings font and at character 80 in Wingdings 2, along with various
    checked "ballot boxes." In Word 2007, click on Symbol on the Insert tab and
    choose More Symbols..., which opens the familiar Symbol dialog. Then choose
    the Wingdings or Wingdings 2 font.

    Note the panel of "Recently used symbols" at the bottom of the Symbol
    dialog. When you first install Word 2007 (at least when it is not an
    upgrade), this panel will be populated by what Microsoft presumably thinks
    are useful symbols. As you add your own by selecting symbols in the Symbol
    dialog, they will replace Microsoft's default choices. This is important
    because these are also the symbols shown on the palette when you click
    Symbol on the Insert tab. Once you've inserted a check (tick) mark, you'll
    see that it has been added to the palette.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 15, 2008
  4. rquigleysmith

    Samanco Guest

    The apprriate Characters are:
    windings 2, Uppercase P for a standard tick, Uppercase R for a boxed tick
    try Webdings lowercase r for a plain X and Uppercase T for a boxed X

    I have a spreadsheet with all the various chharacter sets for standard
    fonts, please download from:>

    http://www.samncopr.co.uk/tools/fontsets

    Samanco, Aug 1, 2008