    find a bar, but not how to get it over the number. I know it can be done,
    because I see it in my text books. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, RKB

    redkcir, Feb 27, 2009

  2. redkcir

    Jay Freedman Guest

    See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman
    Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all
    may benefit.

    Jay Freedman, Mar 1, 2009

  3. redkcir

    grammatim Guest

    Missing from that article is the simplest way of all: use the
    Combining Diacritic Overline character that you'll find in Insert
    Symbol, Unicode no. 0305. (To get it just once, type 0305 Alt+x, and
    it goes over the preceding letter.) There's a Double Overline at 033F.
    But if you go to them in the Insert Symbol panel, you can assign a
    keyboard shortcut to them, of your own choosing.

    grammatim, Mar 1, 2009
  4. First of all, 0305 does not exist in Times New Roman or Arial, so it can't
    be inserted from Insert | Symbol without choosing something other than
    "(normal text)" in a default Word 2003 Blank Document.

    Second, if I insert it using 0305, Alt+X, it is not centered over my
    character, so I would not consider it satisfactory. Moreover, dealing with
    characters combined in this way can be very awkward (can't edit the
    character without deleting the overline).

    I do mention combining diacritics in
    http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineCharacters.htm; some of them work
    better than the overline.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 7, 2009
  5. redkcir

    grammatim Guest

    It's in both those fonts, in Vista/2007, between the macron U0304 and
    the breve U0306. (OP didn't specify his version.)

    The way Word2007 and Vista interact with OpenType has been improved
    since previous versions, and I get properly centered overbars using
    that character (over both capitals and lowercase). Word treats the
    letter as a unit character for editing -- italics, deleting, etc.

    As you can see in the two examples you commented on today, when The
    Others address this question, they send people to your Overbar article
    rather than your Combine Characters article.

    grammatim, Mar 7, 2009
  6. CombineCharacters is a newer article that hasn't made it over the awareness
    threshold of a lot of those who answer questions. <g>

    I was assuming from your post that probably the new Office 2007 fonts do
    include these characters, but of course even a lot of Word 2007 users are
    still stubbornly using TNR and Arial (with some justification). I would
    imagine that the alignment of the diacritics must be improved in Calibri and
    Cambria, but it is definitely not acceptable in TNR.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 7, 2009
  7. redkcir

    grammatim Guest

    I haven't used the C-fonts (except for the unavoidable CambriaMath
    when I needed some symbolic logic signs); I use TNR because it's the
    only serif font that reliably contains all the phonetic and diacritic
    characters (even Gentium, made for linguists, doesn't handle all the
    combining diacritics correctly), and it really does combine the
    diacritics properly.

    grammatim, Mar 8, 2009
  8. In that case, I guess the reason you're seeing a different TNR is that there
    is a new version in Vista (since I have Office 2007 installed [on XP] but
    still have the old version of TNR), and it is almost as risky to assume a
    user is running Vista as to assume he is using Word 2007.

    In any event, the version of TNR I have does *not* include those overlines
    as combining diacritics, and the ones it does use (presumably from Arial
    Unicode MS or the like) do not align correctly with TNR.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 8, 2009