I lose the ability to use the Shift or Caps Lock keys in many websites

Reaction score
In the login screen of many websites I am unable to use the Shift or Caps Lock keys. When I try to add a (e-mail address removed) as part of an email address it just shows as '2'. I'm also unable to add capital letters to a case sensitive password. The only way I can log on is to type the username and password in a Word document and copy it to the website. This problem just started yesterday. I have IE10 and Windows 7. What do you think happened and how can it be corrected?

Thank you.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
sounds like some sort of 'accessibility options' problem and or keyboard layout wrongly set.

Does this keyboard have 'special' function keys like a laptop or gaming keyboard? (what make keyboard?)

:user:

Reaction score
sounds like some sort of 'accessibility options' problem and or keyboard layout wrongly set.

Does this keyboard have 'special' function keys like a laptop or gaming keyboard? (what make keyboard?)

:user:
No, it's just a standard issue HP laptop keyboard.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What browser would you suggest?

Google Chrome

At least if you try a different browser and have no problem then you can put the error down to IE10, if you get the same error in Google Chrome then the error would be down to your computer.

If there error was just you getting " 2 " when you press Shift + @ then it would probably mean you have American language keyboard installed rather than English.

Reaction score
EvanDavis,

Thank you for your continued assistance. Last night I tried both Google Chrome and Firefox browsers. I was unable to log in to my email account. They also wouldn't allow me to copy my password from a Word document like other sites do. At least in IE10 I can do that so I uninstalled them. I guess that means the problem is with my laptop. Would you suggest I just contact HP's tech support?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Next I would suggest going in to Control Panel then Region and Language to check that everything is set to United Kingdonm

Reaction score
EvanDavis,

I'm actually based in the US. I've been out of town for awhile and am only getting back now. I did check the HP Trouble shooting guide which suggested I set the language to United States Dvorak. I did so but except for the date and time showing in Military style I saw no difference. Any other ideas?

Thank you

Reaction score
EvanDavis,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I eventually figured out the problem was related to my anti-virus software. The issue has since been resolved.

Ask a Question