    The longer I use it the more I realize Vista really blows! I can only
    assume that the son of Vista, Windows 7, is even worse. i wish I had stuck
    with XP.

    Chuck, Mar 3, 2011

  2. Chuck

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    news:1%Obp.27636$...
    > Microsoft, in their wisdom, decided at some point in time, to idiot
    > proof their software. In effect what they've done is made it more
    > difficult
    > to do things if you're not an idiot. Example, they've removed the file
    > type
    > tab from the folder options so now you have to go into the registry if
    > you
    > want to add more parameters rather than just the default exe to the
    > "open
    > with" settings.
    > Another example, I've always used Outlook Express rather than MS
    > Outlook
    > as my email client. I don't like MS Office. I think it's a bloated
    > memory
    > hog and I don't like the fact that you can't subscribe to newsgroups
    > with MS
    > Outlook. Now, in Vista, OE is no longer there. You need to use Windows
    > Mail.
    > Windows mail doesn't allow you to display your contact list in the same
    > window. You have to open a new window to see your contacts.
    > The longer I use it the more I realize Vista really blows! I can only
    > assume that the son of Vista, Windows 7, is even worse. i wish I had
    > stuck
    > with XP.

    1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes, while
    Vista was still in beta).

    2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
    client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and runs
    in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win 7
    machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, Mar 3, 2011

  3. Chuck

    Robert Wolfe Guest

    On 3/3/2011 11:33 AM, Bruce Hagen wrote:

    > 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
    > client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
    > runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
    > 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.

    Why not use Thunderbird for both mail and news?

    Robert Wolfe, Mar 6, 2011
  4. Chuck

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Robert Wolfe" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/3/2011 11:33 AM, Bruce Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
    >> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
    >> runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
    >> 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.

    > Why not use Thunderbird for both mail and news?

    I prefer separate programs.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

    Bruce Hagen, Mar 6, 2011
  5. Chuck

    Kelly Greene Guest

    "Bruce Hagen" <> wrote in message

    > 1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes, while
    > Vista was still in beta).
    >
    > 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
    > client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and runs
    > in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win 7
    > machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
    > --
    > Bruce Hagen
    > MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
    > Imperial Beach, CA

    I too am desperate to hack WN onto my W7 computer. I tried but it will not
    open. It shows it's running in Task Manager on W7, but it is not visable.
    Any help would be so appreciated.

    Kelly Greene, Mar 25, 2011
  6. Chuck

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    "Kelly Greene" <> wrote in message

    > "Bruce Hagen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes,
    >> while Vista was still in beta).
    >>
    >> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
    >> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
    >> runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
    >> 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
    >> --
    >> Bruce Hagen
    >> MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
    >> Imperial Beach, CA
    >>

    > I too am desperate to hack WN onto my W7 computer. I tried but it will
    > not open. It shows it's running in Task Manager on W7, but it is not
    > visable. Any help would be so appreciated.

    First, you need access to a Vista machine.

    On the Win7 machine, find the "Windows Mail" folder in Program Files.
    Rename it to "OldWindows Mail" as a precaution.

    Using a Flash or CD, copy the "Windows Mail" folder in its entirety from
    the Vista machine.

    CD to a location in Program Files.

    Open it and right click on the WinMail.exe file and send a shortcut to the
    Desktop. Done.

    An alternative.

    How to Reinstate Windows Mail in Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html

    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010