I Got A Radeon 9800 Pro!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Finally i got a Radeon 9800 Pro!

Been wainting ages after getting messed around from shops on the net, so i went to computer fair that was in the leisure centre and picked one up for £140!

My 3DMark 2003 score went up from 1096 to 5664! bloody amazing, im very pleased with it so far. I just need some other games to test on it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try Far Cry, it looks superb.

And you'll now be able to run Halo at a decent res with no stuttering.

Congrats :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Nice one Reefsmoka! ;)

Now for the next few days you will be busy with your new toy.

How about a personal review even a short one will do, just to let members know how much improvement you got compared to your previous card?

;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
if its a sapphire it will overclock like a bitch :D
If its a sapphire it will overheat like a bitch more like! Even at stock clock speeds them things over heat and crash. They use the same fan on a 9800 pro as they do on a 9000 pro, now that sez it all.

Mines made by come company called Peak, i aint ever heard of em, but i looked at the card before buying and it was exacly the same heatsink as the Connect3D one i was going to get, and it also has heatsinks on the ram which is good.

I already had Far Cry installed on my comp, and it was pretty hard to play it with a FX5200, i had EVERYTHING at the lowest just to play, and it still stuttered here and there! Now i have res on 1024x768, every damn setting on high and 4xAA and 4x the other one (summut like AASF) and i have never seen such a beautiful game! I was just going through some games and wacking the setting up just to see what the should look like :p I done Painkiller, UT2004, Max Payne 2, The Suffering, Colin McRae 4 and even Paradie Pool looks so much better with the graphics at max, it looks like a new game!

All i can say is go out and buy one, for you own good! Dont subject your eyes to shoddy frame rates and blury backgrounds, treat yourself, i dare ya ;).

Reaction score
I have the Sapphire Atlantis 9800 PRO and its got the reference ATI cooler. Can overclock from 378MHz core and 338MHz memory to 430MHz core and 355MHz mem and not have artifacting and it runs fine. also bumps my 3DMark03 score up - i get over 6000.

Mine is identical to the one in the pic pretty much.
cardfront2.jpg

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Ahh, very good. Mines exacly the same as the one in the pic!

The fan is a little noisey, but it could just be me, because my old FX5200 didnt have a fan on it, so an extra fan is obviously gonna bump up the noise.

My friend ordered a saphire atlantis 9800pro, and it come with a manky little fan, that didnt look like it could cool down an ant!

But it looks asif you've got a revised version, which is excellent!

Reaction score
Awesome. Use Rage3D Tweak if you dont mind voiding the warranty. Dont try and push it to silly numbers though.

If yours is the same then how can it have ram-sinks? aren't the memory modules the ones that are bare and say "samsung" on then - i know the memory is 3.3 nano second samsung modules...

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've seen the overclocking figures on websites and am not impressed one bit.

I dont really see the point in overclocking it a tiny bit, and getting maybe 100 more points on 3D Mark.

I maybe would if i bought that VGA Silencer cooler, because i heard you can overclock your 9800 pro to be like a 9800XT, but then again that only about a 5% performance increase!

I'm happy how it is :) .

Aslong as i can play Half Life 2 with some trimmings turned on with no problems i'd be a happy chappy.

Reaction score
My overclock was MASSIVE - thats even with the standard cooler.

i thinky my 3Dmark score was increased by a few hundred.

Artic cooling means higher core frequency so theres massive potential.

Ask a Question