    Thanks!
    --
    mike

    Guest, Jun 24, 2004

    *Vanguard* Guest

    mike said in news::
    > I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have
    > norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.
    >
    > I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and
    > the reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon
    > appears on my desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf
    > file from an interner sourse I get an adobe error signature...
    > acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My computer then seems to just freeze-up.
    >
    > I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only
    > response I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove,
    > remove adobe and download it again. I've done this three times and
    > still do not have a fix for this problem.
    >
    > Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    What happens if you right-click on the link to the .pdf file, select to
    save it locally, and then open the local .pdf file using Acrobat Reader
    6?

    What happens if you disable the option within Acrobat Reader to display
    the .pdf file within the browser window? Try clicking on a .pdf file
    and have AR6 open its own window rather than trying to reuse IE's
    window. I've encountered problems using AR6 within IE6 (although had no
    such problems with AR5 with IE6) and have since configured AR6 to behave
    this way where it opens the .pdf in its own window separate of the
    browser's window.

    When you uninstall a product (to then reinstall it), make sure you do
    any manual cleanup after the uninstall. Uninstalls are notorious for
    leaving behind directories, files, and registry keys. These remnants
    can affect a subsequent reinstall of the product.

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    *Vanguard*, Jun 24, 2004

    Haus Guest

    Hello
    Download your latest virus definitions and do a complete virus scan, BugBear
    Worm is known to affect PDF file downloads.

    Run this stinger just in case.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    --
    Hope this helps
    Haus

    Haus, Jun 24, 2004

    Kenny S Guest

    uninstall version 6 and install version 5.0.5
    You will find the version 5 here:
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

    --

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    _____________

    ---

    Kenny S, Jun 24, 2004

    Kenny S Guest

    try emptying you temporary internet files....
    post again and tell me what happened....

    --

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    _____________

    ---

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    > Kenny S:
    > Thanks. I did as you suggested however when I now try to open a pdf file

    with my newly downloaded Adobe vs 5.0.5, I get a message that says " a
    temporary file cannot be opened".

    ---

    Kenny S, Jun 25, 2004

    fyz

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    If the metods still not work, the pdf file might be damaged or something. I think you can try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair to repair your PDF file. It works rather well for my corrupt PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/

    Hope this will be useful.

    Alan

    fyz, Apr 26, 2008