    I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
    authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.

    Any help?

    BudV, May 24, 2006

  2. BudV

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    If it's still installed you can use this application to look for your key;

    Otherwise see;
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    www.howto-outlook.com

    Tips of the month:
    -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows
    -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data

    -----
    "BudV" <> wrote in message
    I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
    product key.

    Roady [MVP], May 24, 2006

  3. BudV

    BudV Guest

    I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al did
    not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't mention
    Outlook at all.

    I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
    should get back to me tomorrow.

    message news:...

    BudV, May 25, 2006
  4. key finder should find the office keys too.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], May 25, 2006
  5. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire OfficeXP
    package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product. Keyfinder
    looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.

    BudV, May 25, 2006
  6. BudV

    Guest

    BudV wrote:
    > Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire OfficeXP
    > package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product. Keyfinder
    > looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.
    >
    > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> key finder should find the office keys too.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

    >> "BudV" <> wrote in message
    >>> I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al
    >>> did not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't
    >>> mention Outlook at all.
    >>>
    >>> I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
    >>> should get back to me tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
    >>> in message news:...

    Can't you just navigate to the registry entry - thats basically what key
    finders do - isn't it?

    Lee

    , May 25, 2006
  7. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Ordinarily, I stay as far away as possible from the registry because
    altering it scares the bejabbers out of me. Since I'm doing a read-only,
    I'll give it a try.

    BudV, May 25, 2006
  8. I don't think it's exposed as usable text -
    http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/new_cdkey.htm should give you an idea
    where to look.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], May 25, 2006
  9. BudV

    BudV Guest

    It's not exposed as usable text. I got as far as exporting the Registration
    registry key (from your link) and printed 18 pages of stuff. 17 pages was
    the contents of "Current1" -- total gobbledegook. The rest was mostly hex .
    (Hex doesn't bother me. I learned about hex when I started my programming
    career in 1957.) Nowhere did it say "Product Key". There was Product ID,
    DigitalProductID, ProductNameBrand, ProductName, ProductNameNonQualified,
    OutlookName, OutlookNameVersion, et al, but no ProductKey, and nothing was
    25 characters long. I don't suppose that your book can help me with this
    problem?

    BudV, May 26, 2006
  10. BudV

    BudV Guest

    Okay, it's all over. It cost me $10 that MS charged me to "calculate" a
    valid product key for Outlook.

    According to the MS employee I talked to. the Product Key is NOT SAVED IN
    THE REGISTRY, or anywhere else, for that matter. It is a set of 25 bytes,
    with check bytes, that is oriented to a particular product; i.e., a WinXP
    product key won't work for installing Outlook (I know, I tried). It's sole
    purpose is to pass the installation program's checking. It's not saved
    anywhere for future installations to match against.

    If this is true, then Keyfinder isn't "finding" anything -- it's calculating
    a Product Key. Frankly, I'm suspicious about this conclusion, and I welcome
    further commentary from people in the know.

    BudV, May 26, 2006