    when I brwose for *.cer fils and choose a certificate, the following message
    appear "The file contains no certificates sutiable for Enctpted File System
    Recovery. Please select another file or user"). Please help me..

    Guest, Nov 11, 2005

  2. See the section in this link about backing up your certificates.

    Also see the section about why you MUST backup your certificate for an
    explanation as to why you will not be able to access those files.

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    Danny Sanders, Nov 11, 2005

    Bob Harris Guest

    Try a Google search on "recover encrypted file XP".

    I quickly found one product that claims to do what you need, although it is
    not cheap. So, I suspect that there might be more, or someone probably has
    a service that would do the work for you, at a higher cost, of course.

    http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

    Bob Harris, Nov 11, 2005

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try a Google search on "recover encrypted file XP".
    >
    > I quickly found one product that claims to do what you need, although it
    > is not cheap. So, I suspect that there might be more, or someone probably
    > has a service that would do the work for you, at a higher cost, of course.
    >
    > http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

    That only works if you have at least one of the keys. Without a key it would
    require a supercomputer and unlimited time to crack efs in XP.

    Kerry Brown, Nov 11, 2005
  5. As others have indicated those files are gone forever for your access unless
    you have a backup of your EFS private key to import. Also FYI it does not
    help to create a recovery agent after the fact to recover already encrypted
    files. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 12, 2005