    but not send. I tried all the usual things several times: turned off the
    computer, turned off my router and cable modem, checked all my connections,
    started fresh. The problem persists. Is this a problem with Outlook?

    Guest, Sep 29, 2004

    Debbie Guest

    I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
    says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
    deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
    Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

    message. I could receive

    Debbie, Sep 29, 2004

  3. pegasus <> wrote:

    > Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could
    > receive but not send. I tried all the usual things several times:
    > turned off the computer, turned off my router and cable modem,
    > checked all my connections, started fresh. The problem persists. Is
    > this a problem with Outlook?

    Make suer you''re properly authenticating to your outgoing server. Since
    you didn't think it was important to state your Outlook version, no one can
    tell you exactly how to do that.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Sep 30, 2004

    Shah Guest

    CHECK your SMTP server address.. It sounds ike you have entered a WRONG
    SMTP server address...

    Shah, Sep 30, 2004

    Is an SMTP server address 3 numbers.3numbers.3numbers.2numbers? If so, both
    my POP3 and STMP have always been the same.

    Guest, Sep 30, 2004

    Here is the error message I get.

    unable to connect to server.(account:(name) SMTP Server:(numbers which
    comply with the same settings I've had since April) Error number 0x800ccc0e

    Guest, Sep 30, 2004
  7. pegasus <> wrote:

    > Is an SMTP server address 3 numbers.3numbers.3numbers.2numbers?

    No. It can be xx.x.x.xxx as well. Each octet can be in the range 0 to 255
    (with some exceptions). It can also be a fully qualified domain name, like
    smtp.somemachine.somedomain.com or .net. In fact, a FQDN is much much more
    common than a specific IP address. The latter will always work. The
    former, though, may not. Suppose, for example, your ISP's SMTP router is
    named "smtp.bigdomain.net" and, up until now, the IP address for that
    machine has been 62.1.16.4. Now suppose that your ISP wishes to use a
    bigger, faster machine for mail routing. One thing they might do is to
    modify their Domain Name Service (the service that maps FQDNs to IP
    addresses) to make "smtp.bigdomain.net" point to the IP address of that
    bigger, faster machine, say 62.1.16.10. If you're using a FQDN in your
    account settings, your email keeps working. If you have the IP address of
    the old machine in your account settings, your mail stops working and you'll
    have no idea why.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 1, 2004
  8. pegasus <> wrote:

    > Here is the error message I get.
    >
    > unable to connect to server.(account:(name) SMTP Server:(numbers which
    > comply with the same settings I've had since April) Error number
    > 0x800ccc0e

    Use Google to locate that error. Perhaps one of the articles it finds will
    help. Here's the link:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=0x800ccc0e&btnG=Google+Search
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 1, 2004

    Has anyone having this problem just downloaded SP2? I think that SP2 is
    causing this problem. I an receive but I cannot send email. I think that SP2
    blocks messages at Port 25 (SMTP default).

    Guest, Oct 5, 2004
  10. EdH <> wrote:

    > Has anyone having this problem just downloaded SP2? I think that SP2
    > is causing this problem. I an receive but I cannot send email. I
    > think that SP2 blocks messages at Port 25 (SMTP default).

    First you have to ascertain if that is the case. I doubt it, but perhaps.
    If it is, you should be able to add Outlook and/or that port as an exception
    to the firewall.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 5, 2004

    JACQSTER65 Guest

    I am having a similar problem with Microsoft Outlook
    (2000) - except I can send but can't receive - it all
    worked fine until the other day , and I didn't change
    anything - did you solve your problem and how - please?

    Jacqster

    JACQSTER65, Oct 7, 2004

    I'm using Outlook 2002 SP2 - I'm having the same problem as JACQSTER65 -
    can't receive "unable to connect to incoming mail server" no problems and no
    changes that I'm aware of (I have autoupdate for Windows so maybe there was
    an update I don't know about) I have double a triple checked the mail server
    and I can ping it with no problem. If there's no email in the account not
    problem -it only stops working when there is email in the account (POP3)

    Guest, Oct 12, 2004
  13. cyberelf429 <> wrote:

    > I'm using Outlook 2002 SP2 - I'm having the same problem as
    > JACQSTER65 - can't receive "unable to connect to incoming mail
    > server" no problems and no changes that I'm aware of (I have
    > autoupdate for Windows so maybe there was an update I don't know
    > about)

    Windows XP SP2 can product this if you don't configure the firewall
    properly.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 12, 2004

    I have outlook 2003 with same problems as above; when you say configure SP2
    do I just add hte program outlook?

    Guest, Oct 15, 2004
  15. Celeste Morrow <> wrote:

    > I have outlook 2003 with same problems as above; when you say
    > configure SP2 do I just add hte program outlook?

    Yes. I don't guarantee that will solve the problem, but it's one thing that
    can lead to it.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 15, 2004

    Thanks Brian, it seems to have worked; I just added outlook under the
    security/firewall. so, so far so good. thanks

    Guest, Oct 15, 2004

    I have the same problem. What is SP2?

    Guest, Oct 16, 2004

    SP2 is the Windows XP service pack two which has a new security feature with
    a firewall. If you have XP then your automatic update should have detected
    it.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2004

    I have Outlook 2003 Ver 11.0 running on windows XP Pro SP1
    I can receive but can't SEND from one of the 4 email accounts I'm using.
    I've checked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." and "Use
    same settings as my incoming mail server". When I try to send a "Test
    Message" during account setup, I receive the following error:
    "Send test email message: The specified server was found but there was no
    response from the server. Please verify that the port & SSL information is
    correct. To access these settings, close this dialog, then click More
    Settings & click on the Advanced Tab."
    I've tried checking & unchecking the SSL check box for both the Incoming &
    Outgoing server, and it doesn't fix the problem.

    You've mentioned listing Outlook in the Firewall as a possible fix to
    resolve this issue. Can you tell me how to do that?

    Guest, Oct 23, 2004

    Denise,
    I am only aware of these firewall setting in the SP2. I think it was
    something "new" that they added. I could be wrong, but I don't recall having
    this option when I had SP1. did you try to see if it worked in outlook
    exress?

    Guest, Oct 24, 2004