i-Buddie 4 Desknote Review

Reaction score
i had the same problem my damn negative prong fell out too and it took me like 4 hours to open up and haven't yet sodered it back on, does anyone else know where i can get a replacement keyboard cause i screwed up 2 keys and now they dont work at all and it costs $400 to have them fix since warranty is up, which by the way when it happened was a month after warranty was up..let me know

Reaction score
Just stumbled on to this site, grateful to connect with other desknote users. I typed in "a928 battery cable loose or problem" in google

I've had my desknote a928 for almost 1.5 yrs. I had the melting plug problem that got fixed after a month and $45 in shipping, I'm on my 3rd power cord. I need a new cord from the battery to the unit b/c it fits so tightly that when I pull it from the unit, the hard plastic piece on the end of the cable is beginning to come loose. (had the battery for 2 weeks). Speakers sound distorted now and screen flickers every now and then. Desknote sells parts at very high prices and charges a lot for shipping and all sales are final. I love the idea of this machine, but ECS makes a poor quality product with horrible support.
I use many usb devices (scanners, floppy drives smart media reader, wireless usb adapter, game pad) on this machine with xp and have had no problems with that.

Reaction score
As far as your a928 breaking down at crtitical moments: this happened to me last year in law school. I bought a usb 2.0 enclosure for the hard drive. I removed the hard drive and installed it in the enclosure before I sent the unit to ECS so that I could have access to all my files while the unit was gone. I suggest this backup step for all a928 users.

Reaction score
My friend had his power connector fall out yesterday. It was just lass than a month after the warranty expired too. We took 2-3 hours opening up the thing, and finally got to the connector. After trying to resolder the pin back in a few times, we realized it wasn't a good solution. Such a small surface area can't take that much force and wear and tear. So our other friend went digging around. We found this site, but didn't see a clear solution, and we found a post on google:
"I have a ECS desknote A928 and after a year of usage (incidentally the warrenty is only 1 yr) the laptop power connector started exhibiting overheating problems (it melted the AC adaptor)...

upon opening the laptop and inspecting I've determined that it was a design flaw and after continuous usage with CPU intesive tasks such as DVD viewing or 3D gaming. The solder on the connector would've melted of the third prong. This could be easily remidied however by using a thick wire to bridge the connection and some more soldier. Just something for you to consider when buying the ECS A92X series."

Here's our solution:
We took a standard coax tx cable and got a length of the center copper wire. We had to fold it to double the thinkness and twist it around a few times to try to match the thickness of the original pin. Then we pass the wire through the hole of the old peg, and wrapped it around to the top of the connector housing. Holding it to the housing we reconnected the power wire to make sure it would work and to hold the wire in place while we soldered it. Solder it on (be careful!) and then test to make sure it works. My friend's worked on the first try. Then we tried to connect and disconnect it a few times just to make sure it was strong and stable enough (he has to be careful when doing this now, don't want to open the thing back up again). The only problem we had was reassembling it. Just remember where the screws came from and you won't have our problem. Good luck!

email me for pics if you want them

Reaction score
Is the new model A980 better than its brother A 928 in resolving the heat problem?

Reaction score
sorry vanvu, no experience with the a980.

Regarding the a928 melting plug phenomena:

I think there may be another design flaw that contributes to overheating. In my case the pin did not fall out, my plug just started to melt. I think this may have happened because the hard plastic coupler portion of the plug starts to come loose from the softer rubbery portion of the plug. The two portions are held together by two small, rather flimsy internal plastic cords that join the two pieces together plug and socket style.

I think that because the hard plastic coupler portion fits so snugly with the 3 male prongs on the unit that the two plug portions start to come loose from merely pulling the plug in and out. As it becomes loose, I think it may short and cause trouble to the connector piece inside the machine that ultrafob is referring to.

After my plug started melting, I could get about 30 minutes out of my desknote. Then the power would shut off and the 3 green lights and the fan would pulse on and off until I cut the power. Then my plug would be stuck to the machine. I would use pliers to pull the plug off. My desknote still does this once in a great while (powers on and off until I cut power) on startup, but I haven't had any more melting problems.

However, this may all be BS, (I'm not an EE). But regardless, I think its important to be careful with your plug and to replace your power supply often, at the first hint that the connection between the two portions of the plug is loosening.

I would also recommend that ECS (they should read this site) make a plug that is a single piece rather than the clumsy 2-piece design they currently make.

Reaction score
ultrafob: what kind of solder did you use, and what tools did you use?--I would like to be prepared for this problem if it occurs again.

emtnman: did your silver solder hold?

vanvu: check out davinator's post above re a980, looks like your answer may be "no".

Reaction score
Helpful Hint for managing all your USB accessories in a limited space (like a desk). I put some adhesive velcro strips on top of the a928 lid and on the USB accessories so that the accessories just stick to the lid rather than take up desk space. I find it works very well with my actiontec wireless adapter, floppy drive, and smart media card reader. It looks pretty ugly and nerdy, but it works.

Reaction score
Stands Breaking Off: (see twmackey's post): Mine fall off every now and then but they snap in rather easily. ECS told me to always use the stands to help prevent overheating. Its a little annoying b/c stands aren't always practicable depending on the surface you are using, like any type of soft surface, for example.

Reaction score
Im in the middle of taking my laptop apart and there is still one screw i can't find. it is either directly in the middle of the laptop or right under where the monitor was.......i dont know..........anyone else have this problem or can anyone offer me a place where i can find out how to take this apart, some tutorial thanks......................................................................................................ok i think i found my problem the screw that is holding in the circuitboard for the power/email buttons is completely stripped, i have no idea how as it was never opened before. i need to get a screw out from underneath it....anyone know how to get out a really small stripped screw and also does the speaker cover maybe come off????? i dont want to brake it but it feels like it might pull off

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out, i had the power supply problem as well and cant get my god damn laptop case off.....i've taken off the monitor, taken out tons of screws and im still not getting it off, any help????

Reaction score
Hello, man I wish I came accross this site earlier, before buying this laptop.
I have an ibuddie A928, it is a great machine, but I do have the infamous flaw...the power adapter melting.

It seemed to occur, when I noticed my fan was running unusually long. I then smelt a funny odor, and also the adapter seem to get harder and harder to plug and unplug.

I use this computer, for an average of at least 12 hrs a day. I take it EVERYWHERE, I have even left it on, over night.

So naturally,I thought I would have the most wear and tear to the adapter.

The pin did eventually get stuck to the female portion of the adapter, and I ended up pulling the pin out. Right now I am looking for a site or place to buy another adapter. I cleaned all the dust from the inside by the fan especially, and the odor is gone, and the fan doesnt even come on anymore(except for startup). So I recommend to people who have this product, to periodically clean the area behind the fan, or heat dissapator. Its very simple;
All you do is flip it to the back, and remove the rectangular panel closest to where the power cord plugs in. You will see the copper colored heat dissapator. Use the compressed air can to clean it out.
Also check your application list to make sure its not running to many programs at one time, sometimes, its spyware, or something that is running.

This laptop is murder taking it apart, but I got it down to 30min;), for the person asking about removing the top, use a flat head screwdriver to pop out the keyboard. there is a little space right below the space bar. underneath you will find your hidden screws.

Reaction score
AWESOME THANKS A TON, NOW I HAVE THE KEYBOARD OFF BUT THERE IS A PLASTIC PART THAT IS CATCHING RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE WARRANTY SEAL AND I THINK I JUST HAVE TO PULL BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS HOW IT COMES OFF BEFORE I BREAK ANYTHING, THANKS.

the only thing i think u can do in terms of getting a new power supply is to go to desknote.net and order a new motherboard for $150

Reaction score
ok im at the stage where it is just my motherboard left and i cant get it to pop out. it seams to catch in the lower to middle left. anyone. anyone?

Reaction score
So... I'm not alone.

My A928 started getting really hot at the power socket and started to smell like melting plastic. It was also getting harder and harder to plug and unplug the adapter. Finally, the screen started flicking on and off and the computer started to really smell, so I killed the power and sent it in for repair.

The computer is still under warranty but my vendor said it will probably by my responsibility because the wire leaving the AC adapter is a bit frayed. If... however, the actual socket is the problem - and a chronic one at that - then it should still be under warranty.

Would it be possible for PCReview to compile these similar complaints and draft a letter to ECS that we could use to support our warranty claims? I think it might be a great help in the RMA battle that is soon to come.

Additional Problems.. the keyboard detaches and pops up at the lower righthand corner. I can pop it back in place but it pops up a few minutes later... this is no big problem but a bit annoying.

Overall the computer has been great.. I run design, layout, CAD and 3d rendering (often simultaneously) and it has worked well.
(if only it woudn't melt)

Reaction score
hey frognipples--would you be so kind as to write up some basic disassembly/assembly instructions for all of us who may need to do the same thing?

My speakers are all messed up, I would like to crack my unit to take a look, but it's not so critical that I would want to try it without being able to draw on the experiences of others....

My left stand broke the other day, I couldnt snap it back in like I hav done before because it was really broke...ordered some more from desknote.net, they come in a pack of 4. In the meantime, a stack of six pennies taped together makes a decent makeshift stand.

When I had the melting plug problem I eventually got ECS to fix it (I was still under warranty), so I didn't have to open the unit. By the way, before sending it to ECS, my dealer, the person who was supposed to take care of the problem (according to ECS) refused my shipment (after telling me to send it) (just a warning for dealing with these cheap internet stores that sell desknote products.) I was out $45 and about 3.5 weeks of waiting for my computer before I got it back, still broke. After that I sent it to ECS. Anyway, if you are under warranty, I think ECS will take care of it, but you still have to pay shipping, which is expensive for computers.

Also, some useful fyi: Don't try to contact ecs directly, they don't even know what desknote is. When I first had trouble, I called ECS and I exchanged emails with ecs for days and nobody knew what was going on; they kept insisting I had a product they didn't make. Eventually they quit responding to me completely, and then I discovered www.desknote.net. Use the contacts available at that website when you want to get an RMA.

I have ordered several things from desknote.net: Warranty service (melting plug), battery and battery cable, 2 power supplies, and stands (still waiting on them). I would suggest to avoid the desknote e-sales as much as possible, (so far I have only seen car adapters and batteries at other stores). I understand that they claim that all sales are final, and, in my opinion, they overcharge for shipping and are generally overpriced. Moreover, they only accept paypal, which can be very inconvenient at times.

The battery is heavy and bulky, but it works, I really only use it when I need to ensure uninterruptible power supply, like during an exam at school. I have a car adapter, too, for road trips, and it works well. I run it throught the battery so the unit keeps power even when we stop.

Reaction score
Well there is quite a bit involved in the disassembly/assembly procedure. Pretty much you need to start by taking every screw you can find from the bottom out, i took out the processor, ram, and harddrive, but im not positive if that was necesarry. The monitor needs to come off to reach the motherboard, this happens by snapping the two little connectors off and then unscrewing the screws underneath. your going to need to also pop out the keyboard which can be done with a flat head screwdriver......you need to take off the control buttons on the top of the unit, the power,email quick buttons. And just take off every screw you can see that is holding the cover off but be sure to remember how it all came apart...i've only done it once so i dont really remember everything i had to do that well but i remember about 4 times i got stumped and i just posted on here and someone told me what i was missing, i would just start taking apart and post when u run into problems.

Reaction score
had a new problem surface recently: Sometimes, after touching a metal portion of the unit, it shocks me, cuts power, and reboots. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Reaction score
I have a A929 and I recently changed a few things in bios to help with the performance. Normally if I mess something up it just doesn't come on and I reset it and the bios returns to defaults. Well I messed with the Latency of the ram and I believe that has rendered my DeskNote useless. Now when I power it up it just sits there with a blank screen. No LED lights flash at all, the only thing that is on is the power LED and the whirl of the fan.

Is there some way I can reset the bios externally?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Ask a Question