I also want to get rid of Messenger, but your fixes don't work.

G

I also don't want msn.messenger to log on to the internet and throw up two annoying screens every time I turn on my computer. I've used msconfig to shut off msnmsgr.exe and it works until I check my e-mail then it is back. I do want to use my msn e-mail, but I don't want msn.messenger at all. I just followed the WinMsgr link you gave and first used the Preferences tab instructions. No good. Checked my e-mail and it came right back. I then used the Messenger\Client instructions. Also no good. Is there a way to go into the registry and put in a line to remove or disable the msnmsgr.exe in the startup? Well I guess my computer has msn messenger herpes. I can't get rid of it and it always comes back. Please help if you can! I'm very very frustrated here. I also run XP Home Edition.

L

LRSkier

If you get any help on this please let me know. I am of
the same feeling and want to end MSM use of my computer.
let me hear from you and I will do the same..

lrskier2

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Cliff,

If you have MSN Messenger installed and use MSN Explorer/8/9, Messenger will automatically
start when you sign into MSN -- this is by design.

As well, if you have MSN Messenger installed and visit Hotmail, Messenger will again load.
This again, is by design and you cannot stop this behavior.

In terms of Hotmail and turning on your computer, you can stop it from trying to
automatically login however, simply click Start, then Run, type "msnmsgr" and click OK.
Click the Tools menu, then Options, then *General* tab, uncheck both 'Automatically run
Messenger when I log on to Windows' and 'Allow automatic sign in when connected to the
Internet' and click OK.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

G

Yes I found a fix, but your e-mail address is not valid. Send me a good one and I'll share.

Cliff Taylor

Ask a Question