Howto setup a Internet cafe network???

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Guest, Jun 21, 2005.

    I am planning on setting up a internet cafe with about 8-10 computers, but am
    not sure as to what equipment is required, ie, networking equipment, how
    would i connect the computers together, eg (router/ switch), i know i would
    have to install a broadband connection from an ISP, but then what?

    I have the computers, what else do i require, does anyone have any step - by
    step instructions to follow in connecting them up - how, using a switch or
    router to connect all the computers to the ISP broadband connection and
    anything else i may have missed. I would prefer to go with the Standard LAN
    network with a router/switch and NICS in each computer with cat5 cables
    connected.

    With a server, what would i require to set this up, ie, which OS
    (win98/2k/xp), can any of these OS's be used to act as a server for this
    setup? What other setup config details would be required to setup a server,
    ie, Domain controller in win2k environment...etc? Would i have to go into
    detail setup like setting up Active Directory Service on the server?

    I do not have much experience in setting up Win2k servers/active directory....
    Which OS would you recommend using on the client PC's?

    Do ip addresses have to be assigned???

    --
    Dennis

    Robert L [MS-MVP], Jun 21, 2005

  3. If your interested in a wireless solution this may be of interest...

    http://www.publicip.net/

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 21, 2005
  4. I might add that I am going to be doing similar for a group of hotels and
    there is an excellent D-Link product that allows you to set times allowed
    for wireless, issues receipts, auto disconnects when time is up etc.
    Brilliant looking gear on paper but I haven't yet had my hands on it.

    I am in no way connected with D-Link so this isn't a commercial advert. I
    just thought their two products working together gave the end user the
    ability to do all without calling me back all the time to set things up once
    it is in place. That is why I like it. I would prefer the extra money but a
    happy customer makes me more over a longer period!

    Interrogative, Jun 22, 2005

    I would look into Internet cafe software. One of my friends started one up
    and it ran from a basic server. Each computer connected to that server and
    you can restrict access, create timed passwords, shutdown all computers.
    etc.. It designed for that type of situation. I would look up that type of
    software. I dont remember what his was called but im sure you'll run into it.

    Guest, Jul 1, 2005