    -------------------------
    I Fish. Therefore, I am.
    -------------------------

    Anthony Ewell, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Anthony Ewell <> wrote:

    > When the need arises to replace a single file from
    > a service pack, what is the command to convert
    > a "*.dl_" file to a "*.dll" file?

    Start > Run: CMD.EXE
    Type 'Expand /?' for help.

    --
    d-d

    Detlev Dreyer, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Anthony Ewell

    Phoenix.Ni Guest

    Anthony Ewell wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > When the need arises to replace a single file from
    > a service pack, what is the command to convert
    > a "*.dl_" file to a "*.dll" file?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --Tony

    you can try DOS command "ren", for more information, you can type
    'help' in dos window

    Phoenix.Ni, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Anthony Ewell

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Expand
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/enus/expand.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:,
    Anthony Ewell <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Anthony Ewell

    Guest Guest

    "Phoenix.Ni" wrote:

    > you can try DOS command "ren", for more information, you can type
    > 'help' in dos window

    Files with a filename extension dl_ are, as the extension implies,
    incomplete so renaming won't work and more than simply copying to a different
    directory would. It has to be expanded from its compressed state on the CD
    or in the SP directory and the way to do that is with the expand command in
    what looks like an old DOS window in XP. As has been posted, you bring that
    up by typing cmd in the Start>Run box and at the C:\ prompt type expand
    D:\i386\???.dl_ c:\Windows\System32\???.dll where D is your CD and i386 is
    the folder on that CD containing the file you want and where System32 is the
    target folder for the newly expanded file.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Anthony Ewell

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Oops...