How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up Sys

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by IU-Dylan, Aug 31, 2010.

  1. IU-Dylan

    IU-Dylan Guest

    Hello:

    I have been encountering this annoying problem and I would appreciate
    anyone's help in working around it. I have been building and updating
    several systems, including updating system bios, chipsets, etc. Whenever I
    update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an Intel-based chipset),
    if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or USB-based mouse, those
    specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless the system is using a
    PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have to do a "hard" shutdown, to
    restart the system and get the newer enhanced USB drivers installed. Of
    course, I hate doing this and wince every time I do the "hard" shutdown. So
    far, I have been lucky and the systems have always come back up, with the new
    enhanced USB drivers installed. However, I would love to know how I could
    update the enhanced USB drivers, without having to perform a "hard" shutdown
    of the system. Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
    therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
    an option, unfortunately. What is the proper procedure for updating the
    enhanced USB drivers, via the Intel “Have Disk†method, whereby, I can get
    around the USB-based keyboard and USB-based mouse freeze up issue? Any
    information would be wonderful.

    Thank you.
     
    IU-Dylan, Aug 31, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. IU-Dylan

    MowGreen Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking UpSys

    IU-Dylan wrote:
    > Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
    > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
    > an option, unfortunately.


    Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
    they can be plugged into USB ports -

    http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=


    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
     
    MowGreen, Aug 31, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. IU-Dylan

    IU-Dylan Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up

    Hello, MowGreen:

    Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
    how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
    disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
    Am I missing your point? :) Thanks.

    "MowGreen" wrote:

    > IU-Dylan wrote:
    > > Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
    > > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
    > > an option, unfortunately.

    >
    > Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
    > they can be plugged into USB ports -
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=
    >
    >
    > MowGreen
    > ================
    > *-343-* FDNY
    > Never Forgotten
    > ================
    >
    > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
    > .
    >
     
    IU-Dylan, Sep 1, 2010
    #3
  4. IU-Dylan

    Mark Adams Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up

    "IU-Dylan" wrote:

    > Hello, MowGreen:
    >
    > Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
    > how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
    > disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
    > Am I missing your point? :) Thanks.
    >



    Go to Control Panel, Power Options. Open the "Advanced" tab. In the Power
    Buttons pane, select Shut Down from the drop down menu. Click Apply, then
    exit. Now when your USB mouse and keyboards freeze, simply press the power
    button once (do not hold it in) Windows will then perform a normal shutdown.
    Restart, and you're back in business. This is very convenient if you ever
    want to shut your computer down without turning the monitor back on, just
    press the button and walk away.


    > "MowGreen" wrote:
    >
    > > IU-Dylan wrote:
    > > > Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
    > > > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
    > > > an option, unfortunately.

    > >
    > > Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
    > > they can be plugged into USB ports -
    > >
    > > http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=
    > >
    > >
    > > MowGreen
    > > ================
    > > *-343-* FDNY
    > > Never Forgotten
    > > ================
    > >
    > > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
    > > .
    > >
     
    Mark Adams, Sep 1, 2010
    #4
  5. IU-Dylan

    MowGreen Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up

    Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    > "IU-Dylan" wrote:
    >
    >> > Hello, MowGreen:
    >> >
    >> > Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
    >> > how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
    >> > disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
    >> > Am I missing your point?:) Thanks.
    >> >



    Forget what I recommended previously. It was *dumb*.
    Mark's advice for configuring Power Options appears to be sufficient for
    avoiding hard shutdowns.

    You previously stated

    " Whenever I update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an
    Intel-based chipset), if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or
    USB-based mouse, those specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless
    the system is using a PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have
    to do a "hard" shutdown, to restart the system and get the newer
    enhanced USB drivers installed. "

    I fail to see where the ports themselves have become disabled, it's the
    *driver* replacement that is causing the device lock up issue.


    Which file format are the enhanced USB drivers ... are they .exe or
    ..msi ? If they're .exe, have you tried booting to Safe Mode and updating
    the drivers from there ?
    If they're .msi, see:

    SafeMSI.exe – Start Windows Installer Service in Safe Mode
    http://www.technibble.com/safemsi-exe-start-windows-installer-service-in-safe-mode/

    And, if the drivers are not digitally signed, which could be another
    factor in the lock-up issue, you can change XP's driver signing option
    to see if that resolves the issue.

    See - Investigating Windows XP's Drivers settings
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-6042127.html


    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
     
    MowGreen, Sep 1, 2010
    #5
  6. IU-Dylan

    Cheng Heng Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up

    MowGreen wrote:
    >


    > Forget what I recommended previously. It was *dumb*.


    Have you ever recommended anything that is sane Troll? You keep
    telling people to shut off their firewalls, shut off anti-spyware,
    shut off anti-visuses and then go online to get updates! Now this
    can't be sane thing to suggest. Only a nutter would suggest such
    things.
     
    Cheng Heng, Sep 1, 2010
    #6
  7. IU-Dylan

    Paul Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking UpSys

    IU-Dylan wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have been encountering this annoying problem and I would appreciate
    > anyone's help in working around it. I have been building and updating
    > several systems, including updating system bios, chipsets, etc. Whenever I
    > update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an Intel-based chipset),
    > if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or USB-based mouse, those
    > specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless the system is using a
    > PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have to do a "hard" shutdown, to
    > restart the system and get the newer enhanced USB drivers installed. Of
    > course, I hate doing this and wince every time I do the "hard" shutdown. So
    > far, I have been lucky and the systems have always come back up, with the new
    > enhanced USB drivers installed. However, I would love to know how I could
    > update the enhanced USB drivers, without having to perform a "hard" shutdown
    > of the system. Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
    > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
    > an option, unfortunately. What is the proper procedure for updating the
    > enhanced USB drivers, via the Intel “Have Disk†method, whereby, I can get
    > around the USB-based keyboard and USB-based mouse freeze up issue? Any
    > information would be wonderful.
    >
    > Thank you.


    On my machine, there is a log file created by the Intel INFINST installer.
    My log comes from running the Intel package, from the motherboard installer CD.

    C:\Intel\Logs\IntelChipset.log

    Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\g33q35.inf
    Package Requires Reboot = no

    Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9core.inf
    Package Requires Reboot = no

    Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9ide.inf
    Package Requires Reboot = no

    Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9smb.inf
    Package Requires Reboot = no

    Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9usb.inf
    Package Requires Reboot = no

    The ICH9USB.INF file isn't much of an installer at all. It has the lines:

    Include=usbport.inf
    Needs=UHCI.Dev.NT

    and uses the built-in WinXP USB2 drivers that have been there since initial
    launch in WinXP SP1. The USBPORT.INF file is responsible for installing the standard
    Microsoft driver files. This is what my USB2 Enhanced entry uses.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    usbhub.sys
    usbport.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    usbui.dll

    The only thing the Intel file contributes, is an identity string for Device Manager.

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A.DeviceDesc="Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A"

    Now, I just tried a test here. I right-clicked on the Intel ICH9USB.INF
    file, and nothing froze and nothing of significance happened. The Microsoft
    USBPORT.INF file does have lines like this, so you'd think it would be
    making some changes by copying and deleting files.

    AddReg=EHCI.AddReg.NT
    CopyFiles=EHCI.CopyFiles.NT,USBUI.CopyFiles.NT,USB.CopyFiles.NT,HCCOIN.CopyFiles.NT
    DelFiles=USB.DelFiles.NT

    But for me at least, I didn't see a freeze. My USB mouse still works.

    Maybe you could run a second script in the background, running a polling loop
    using "devcon" program ? Perhaps that would discover any new hardware and
    reinstall mouse/keyboard HID drivers so your input devices would work ?
    Perhaps write a short script that waits five minutes and then does
    a "rescan" ?

    http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272

    Paul
     
    Paul, Sep 1, 2010
    #7
  8. IU-Dylan

    Paul Guest

    Re: How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking UpSys

    Paul wrote:
    > IU-Dylan wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I have been encountering this annoying problem and I would appreciate
    >> anyone's help in working around it. I have been building and updating
    >> several systems, including updating system bios, chipsets, etc.
    >> Whenever I update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an
    >> Intel-based chipset), if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or
    >> USB-based mouse, those specific devices freeze up/stop running.
    >> Unless the system is using a PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based
    >> mouse, I have to do a "hard" shutdown, to restart the system and get
    >> the newer enhanced USB drivers installed. Of course, I hate doing
    >> this and wince every time I do the "hard" shutdown. So far, I have
    >> been lucky and the systems have always come back up, with the new
    >> enhanced USB drivers installed. However, I would love to know how I
    >> could update the enhanced USB drivers, without having to perform a
    >> "hard" shutdown of the system. Moreover, most of these systems do not
    >> have a PS-2 port; therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a
    >> PS-2-based keyboard is not an option, unfortunately. What is the
    >> proper procedure for updating the enhanced USB drivers, via the Intel
    >> “Have Disk†method, whereby, I can get around the USB-based keyboard
    >> and USB-based mouse freeze up issue? Any information would be
    >> wonderful.
    >> Thank you.

    >
    > On my machine, there is a log file created by the Intel INFINST installer.
    > My log comes from running the Intel package, from the motherboard
    > installer CD.
    >
    > C:\Intel\Logs\IntelChipset.log
    >
    > Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\g33q35.inf
    > Package Requires Reboot = no
    >
    > Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9core.inf
    > Package Requires Reboot = no
    >
    > Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9ide.inf
    > Package Requires Reboot = no
    >
    > Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9smb.inf
    > Package Requires Reboot = no
    >
    > Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9usb.inf
    > Package Requires Reboot = no
    >
    > The ICH9USB.INF file isn't much of an installer at all. It has the lines:
    >
    > Include=usbport.inf
    > Needs=UHCI.Dev.NT
    >
    > and uses the built-in WinXP USB2 drivers that have been there since initial
    > launch in WinXP SP1. The USBPORT.INF file is responsible for installing
    > the standard
    > Microsoft driver files. This is what my USB2 Enhanced entry uses.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    > usbhub.sys
    > usbport.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    > usbui.dll
    >
    > The only thing the Intel file contributes, is an identity string for
    > Device Manager.
    >
    > PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A.DeviceDesc="Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced
    > Host Controller - 293A"
    >
    > Now, I just tried a test here. I right-clicked on the Intel ICH9USB.INF
    > file, and nothing froze and nothing of significance happened. The Microsoft
    > USBPORT.INF file does have lines like this, so you'd think it would be
    > making some changes by copying and deleting files.
    >
    > AddReg=EHCI.AddReg.NT
    >
    > CopyFiles=EHCI.CopyFiles.NT,USBUI.CopyFiles.NT,USB.CopyFiles.NT,HCCOIN.CopyFiles.NT
    >
    > DelFiles=USB.DelFiles.NT
    >
    > But for me at least, I didn't see a freeze. My USB mouse still works.
    >
    > Maybe you could run a second script in the background, running a polling
    > loop
    > using "devcon" program ? Perhaps that would discover any new hardware and
    > reinstall mouse/keyboard HID drivers so your input devices would work ?
    > Perhaps write a short script that waits five minutes and then does
    > a "rescan" ?
    >
    > http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272
    >
    > Paul


    I also tried "update driver" on DEV 2936 using Device Manager and the
    Update Driver button.

    (I figured out which USB 1.1 interface my mouse was on, by using
    UVCView.x86.exe , so I know exactly which logic block to try to update,
    to upset the USB mouse.)

    I got the alert sound of a USB device being disconnected, followed about
    five seconds later, by the device being connected again. My mouse still
    works and there is no freeze.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Sep 1, 2010
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richard Keirle

    Re: VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

    Richard Keirle, Aug 4, 2003, in forum: Windows XP General
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    236
    Richard Keirle
    Aug 4, 2003
  2. Richard Keirle

    Re: VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

    Richard Keirle, Aug 7, 2003, in forum: Windows XP General
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    232
    Richard Keirle
    Aug 7, 2003
  3. Teggy P Veerapen
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    810
    Teggy P Veerapen
    Oct 2, 2003
  4. el pendejo

    blue screen kmixer.sys nv4_disp.dll afd.sys ntfs.sys

    el pendejo, Jan 19, 2005, in forum: Windows XP General
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    550
    el pendejo
    Jan 19, 2005
  5. Guest
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    10,230
    Guest
    Nov 22, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page