    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Eric

    Eric, May 14, 2009

  2. Eric

    Malke Guest

    Eric wrote:

    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
    > When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is
    > turn down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your
    > computer", then I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
    > click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
    > I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window
    > 95 or 98.
    > But it happens on one's computer.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

    2,040,000 hits in 0.28 seconds:
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=it+i...omputer&aq=0&oq=it+is+now+safe&fp=Q5rYJf3FIq4

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, May 14, 2009

  3. Eric

    Jose Guest

    On May 14, 7:05 am, Eric <> wrote:
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
    > When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is turn
    > down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer", then
    > I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
    > click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
    > I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window95
    > or 98.
    > But it happens on one's computer.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    > Eric

    Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options.

    If there is an APM (Advanced Power Management) tab, check the "Enable
    Advanced Power Management support" box and try again.

    If there is no APM tab, or checking the box does not work, then we can
    look elsewhere.

    Jose

    Jose, May 14, 2009
  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    There are only 4 tabs, Power Option, Advance, Sleep, UPS in chinese, I may
    not translate correctly. Could you please tell me which tab look like APM
    tabs?
    If there is no APM tabs, what should I do?
    Thank everyone very much for suggestions
    Eric

    Eric, May 14, 2009
  5. Eric

    SPAMCOP User Guest

    Eric,

    I have written my own shutdown approgram in unmanaged C++. A double-click &
    it shuts the machine down

    --
    SPAMCOP User

    SPAMCOP User, May 14, 2009
  6. Eric

    SPAMCOP User Guest

    Eric,

    In the registry is a setting shutdown & power off:

    START | RUN | Type 'regedit' & press ENTER

    Navigate to:

    In the right pane, double-click 'PowerdownAfterShutdown' & set it to 1

    Close the registry editor & restart

    --
    SPAMCOP User

    SPAMCOP User, May 14, 2009
  7. Eric

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Eric,
    The 'Advanced' tab IS the APM Management they are referring to. You
    SHOULD have two boxes under that tab named:

    When I press the Power button on my computer.

    ....and

    When I press the Sleep button on my computer.

    ...where you can define the result of pressing either of these buttons. If
    these boxes are NOT present it is POSSIBLE (but not very probable) that your
    computer is an old one that has not got an 'ATX' based motherboard and power
    supply that supports shutting off AC power via the Operating System.

    To test, try out these commands:

    Firstly: 1.)

    reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v
    PowerdownAfterShutdown /d 1 /f

    Then 2.)

    shutdown /s /t 0

    (*NB The first command must be all on one line as it may not appear to be so
    due to line-wrap)

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, May 14, 2009
  8. Eric

    westom Guest

    On May 14, 10:45 am, Eric <> wrote:
    > There are only 4 tabs, Power Option, Advance, Sleep, UPS in chinese, I may
    > not translate correctly. ...
    > If there is no APM tabs, what should I do?

    Power supply is controlled by a power supply controller. Controller
    is custom - unique to the chip set for each motherboard. NT based
    OSes solve this problem with the HAL - a layer of software that
    interfaced the OS to that unique hardware.

    When your OS loads, it identified by the chipset and loads a correct
    HAL.

    But if your HAL is not properly installed, the OS cannot talk to the
    power supply controller - turn off the power supply.

    Above assumes your power supply is an ATX type. That the power
    switch also connects to the power supply controller - not directly to
    the power supply.

    westom, May 14, 2009