How to set Outlook to send/receive automatically upon opening?

When I open the program, I want Outlook 2003 to send/receive automatically, without my having to initiate the command. How is this done?

Thanks!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Set an automatic polling interval in Send/Receive groups.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Lance said:
When I open the program, I want Outlook 2003 to send/receive
automatically, without my having to initiate the command. How is this done?

How do I set the automatic polling interval?

I went to send/receive groups and checked the box to send/receive every 5 minutes. But my problem is this: when I'm offline and open Outlook 2003, it opens but does not prompt me to dial up. However, with Express, when I opened the program, it automatically tried to send/receive, which brought up the dialer.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You would need to provide your mail account type and the Connection Type you
specified for that account for us even to hazard a guess.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Lance said:
How do I set the automatic polling interval?

I went to send/receive groups and checked the box to send/receive every 5
minutes. But my problem is this: when I'm offline and open Outlook 2003,
it opens but does not prompt me to dial up. However, with Express, when I
opened the program, it automatically tried to send/receive, which brought up
the dialer.

Mail type: POP3/STMP My mail server is mail.peoplepc.co

My connection type is dial-up

Basically, when I open the program, I want it to instantly run a send/receive. This will force my dialer to open. It seems like this should be simple, setting Outlook to execute a send/receive immediately upon opening. Alas . . .

Thanks!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Dial up?
That is not one of the connection types.
Examine your settings again.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Lance said:
Mail type: POP3/STMP My mail server is mail.peoplepc.com

My connection type is dial-up.

Basically, when I open the program, I want it to instantly run a
send/receive. This will force my dialer to open. It seems like this should
be simple, setting Outlook to execute a send/receive immediately upon
opening. Alas . . .

Under "Connection" in "Internet E-Mail Setting," the type of connection is listed as "Connect using my phone line."

I guess I'm not sure what "connection type" you're referring to.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then you must have specified a DUN connection for Outlook to use, right?
Check to see how that is configured. These are OS settings now, not Outlook
settings.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Lance said:
Under "Connection" in "Internet E-Mail Setting," the type of connection is
listed as "Connect using my phone line."

Forgive me, but I'm still not certain what information you require. Are you referring to what server type I dial to? (PPP) What specifics of the DUN connection am I looking for

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I'm just telling you that once you set Phone Line as the connection type,
what happens after that is what you've specified for the DUN at the
operating system level, not in Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Lance said:
Forgive me, but I'm still not certain what information you require. Are
you referring to what server type I dial to? (PPP) What specifics of the
DUN connection am I looking for?

Walter Kramer

I believe the only option is "send/receive on closure", whereas
outlook express gives you the option "send/receive on start up"
(perhaps slightly different wording, I have a dutch language version).

I have no idea why Microsoft opted for either on closure or on start
up. Both seems to be the more logical choice (probably a good reason
to upgrade to a future version).

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not true. In Outlook 2002 and higher, setting any automatic polling interval
will force a poll on launch for any connection type. In earlier versions, a
poll on launch would occur only for the LAN connection type.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Lance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
you referring to what server type I dial to? (PPP) What specifics of the
DUN connection am I looking for?

Russ - I got it!

I don't know how, but now, when I open the program, it forces a send/receive. But I have a new problem. Immediately upon receiving all emails, it disconnects my dial-up connection. I went to Send/Receive groups under Mail Setup, and the box marked "Disconnected after manual send/receive" is not checked. So we conquered the first problem, but yet here's another.

Thanks again!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That's the default behavior for Phone Line connections. Outlook assumes that
when dial up users set an automatic polling they want to conserve connection
time and not stay dialed up. Set the connection type to LAN and you will
remain connected (LAN will use your default dial up if Outlook finds no LAN
connection). You'll have to remember to disconnect manually.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]