How to select program to open Hyperlink?

bw

I do NOT have Adobe Reader.
I do have Foxit Reader.
I do have Adobe Acrobat Professional.
My default program for PDF files is Foxit Reader.

When I set a hyperlink in Excel, and then click on that link, it opens the
link with Adobe Acrobat Professional. I want it to open with Foxit Reader.

How do I accomplish this, and why is the current "default" program for the
hyperlink Adobe Acrobat Professional?

Thanks,
Bernie

crferguson

You say your default reader is Foxit. How is it set as default? Or
where, rather?

bw

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types and the Details
for Registered File Type for PDF Files shows them opening with Foxit Reader.

crferguson

Well, that's the way it should be which means there might not be an
easy fix.

One thing to note is that if you have Acrobat Profressional, you do
have Acrobat Reader. It's basically the same thing except
Professional allows you the full functionality whereas Reader only
lets you do the most minimal of tasks. Maybe someone else can shed
some better light on this, but it might come down to uninstalling
Professional to see if that solves the problem. Of course, I wouldn't
do that unless you have access to the software to reinstall it. Not
to mention if you have the latest version of Professional, it will
take forever to uninstall and reinstall.

Sorry, I'm basically no help for this one :-(

Cory

Jim Cone

For what it is worth...
I do not have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat on my system.
I do have Foxit Reader.
I have just discovered that the new version of Foxit (2.2) has problems
opening and closing when activated from a hyperlink in Excel.
The toolbars are misplaced on opening and it crashes when exiting.
I uninstalled Foxit (2.2) and installed the prior version (2.1) and the program
works normally when opened from an Excel hyperlink.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

I do NOT have Adobe Reader.
I do have Foxit Reader.
I do have Adobe Acrobat Professional.
My default program for PDF files is Foxit Reader.

When I set a hyperlink in Excel, and then click on that link, it opens the
link with Adobe Acrobat Professional. I want it to open with Foxit Reader.

How do I accomplish this, and why is the current "default" program for the
hyperlink Adobe Acrobat Professional?

Thanks,
Bernie

bw

Excellent piece of information, Jim!

I was using Foxit (2.0). Since mine was an upgrade, I decided to go ahead
an upgrade to Foxit (2.1), and yes, it solved my problem too. I really
appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your situation.

Thanks much,
Bernie

Joined
Mar 1, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Excellent piece of information, Jim!

I was using Foxit (2.0). Since mine was an upgrade, I decided to go ahead
an upgrade to Foxit (2.1), and yes, it solved my problem too. I really
appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your situation.

Thanks much,
Bernie

"Jim Cone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:uhb9l%[email protected]...

> For what it is worth...
> I do not have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat on my system.
> I do have Foxit Reader.
> I have just discovered that the new version of Foxit (2.2) has problems
> opening and closing when activated from a hyperlink in Excel.
> The toolbars are misplaced on opening and it crashes when exiting.
> I uninstalled Foxit (2.2) and installed the prior version (2.1) and the
> program
> works normally when opened from an Excel hyperlink.
> --
> Jim Cone
> San Francisco, USA
> http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
> (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)
>

> "bw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> I do NOT have Adobe Reader.
> I do have Foxit Reader.
> I do have Adobe Acrobat Professional.
> My default program for PDF files is Foxit Reader.
>
> When I set a hyperlink in Excel, and then click on that link, it opens the
> link with Adobe Acrobat Professional. I want it to open with Foxit
> Reader.
>
> How do I accomplish this, and why is the current "default" program for the
> hyperlink Adobe Acrobat Professional?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie

Hi guys.

I've had similar issues when using Foxit Reader and Adobe.
Using Windows 7 and MS Word 2007.
Saving with Cute PDF and Foxit I found hyperlinks inactive in both Foxit and Adobe readers.

Then ... (and I'm not an expert, - just a user) I tried saving in MS Word XPS and the inactive hyperlinks worked.

From a Word document go to:
File
Save As PDF or XPS
Select title and location
LC Publish

Good luck guys. I know this works for me with Safe Reading unclicked in Trust Manager

Joined
Dec 23, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I found this topic googling in late 2020 because I have PDF-XChange Editor as default PDF viewer, but my pdf links in Excel were always opened by Acrobat Reader.
By chance I discovered today that if I finish with a dot the link inside the cell (hyperlink window) I get the pdf file opened by my default viewer.
The annoyance is that I get a warning message about the risk of viruses and a request of confirmation.

Example (in the hyperlink window):
\documents\abc.pdf ==> Acrobat Reader without warning
\documents\abc.pdf. ==> My default pdf reader (PDF-XChange Editor) with warning

I hope it can help