How to restore XP after novell client trashed it?

Wood Butcher

In a fit of stupidity I installed novell client 4.83 (c483sp2e.exe)
on my xp-home system. After realizing it was not what I needed
I uninstalled it using LocalAreaConnectionProperties-Uninstall.

The system then failed to boot and displayed "User Interface Failure
The Logon User Interface DLL NWGINA.DLL failed to load."

I ran the xp system repair function on the CD-rom, but it didn't
fix the problem. I then deleted nwgina.dll from the system32 dir
and copied msgina.dll to nwgina.dll. This enabled me to boot again.
However I no longer get the Welcome Screen - I get the classic
logon prompt. UserAccounts will not let me change back (nor
enable fast user switching) and gives the message that I must
uninstall the program that made the change: nwgina.dll. Novell
client does not show up under ControlPanel-AddRemoveProg.
There is no uninstall program in the installed novell folder.

How do I remove the novell "virus" and return xp to it's familiar self?

Art

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Wood,
See this article; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302346
You will need to edit the registry to remove the entry that points to
NWGina.dll.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "Wood Butcher" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: How to restore XP after novell client trashed it?
| Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:18:01 GMT
|
| In a fit of stupidity I installed novell client 4.83 (c483sp2e.exe)
| on my xp-home system. After realizing it was not what I needed
| I uninstalled it using LocalAreaConnectionProperties-Uninstall.
|
| The system then failed to boot and displayed "User Interface Failure
| The Logon User Interface DLL NWGINA.DLL failed to load."
|
| I ran the xp system repair function on the CD-rom, but it didn't
| fix the problem. I then deleted nwgina.dll from the system32 dir
| and copied msgina.dll to nwgina.dll. This enabled me to boot again.
| However I no longer get the Welcome Screen - I get the classic
| logon prompt. UserAccounts will not let me change back (nor
| enable fast user switching) and gives the message that I must
| uninstall the program that made the change: nwgina.dll. Novell
| client does not show up under ControlPanel-AddRemoveProg.
| There is no uninstall program in the installed novell folder.
|
| How do I remove the novell "virus" and return xp to it's familiar self?
|
| Art

Wood Butcher

Darrell, you're my hero! It works!
Thank you.

I had managed to find the ginadll entry in the registry on my
own and had changed its data from nwgina.dll to msgina.dll,
but never thought to remove the entry entirely.

Thanks again.
Art