    demand--especially one that's empty.

    What can I do?

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Dec 23, 2006

    Poprivet Guest

    wrote:
    > My Program Files contain several folders that say "Folder is empty." One
    > might think that I could delete these folders, but Windows
    > refuses to do so, saying "Access is denied." Since I am the sole
    > user of this computer, it would seem to me that I should be able to
    > delete any folder on demand--especially one that's empty.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    If they are folders you created, you should be able to delete them. But,
    and I suspect this is your case, if they are folders that XP created, you
    cannot delete them. They are there for uses you may not realize or
    understand at this time.

    What are some of the names, and why do you want to delete them?

    Try booting into Safe Mode and delete them from there. If they're simple
    leftovers from uninstalls, this may allow you to delete them. Don't empty
    the recycle bin right away though; Reboot a couple times and be sure no
    error messages are created by deleting them. There could be hidden files
    there that you aren't aware of.

    I'd beware of deleting things you don't understand. Time and experience
    will help you figure out a lot of it.

    Pop`

    Poprivet, Dec 23, 2006

    RobertVA Guest

    wrote:
    > My Program Files contain several folders that say "Folder is empty." One
    > might think that I could delete these folders, but Windows refuses to do so,
    > saying "Access is denied." Since I am the sole user of this computer, it
    > would seem to me that I should be able to delete any folder on
    > demand--especially one that's empty.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    CAUTION: Don't go deleting folders under "Program Files" without using
    the Windows "Add / Remove Programs" function or the application
    publisher's Uninstall program first! Even then you are working without
    the normal protective code and face at least SOME risk of corrupting
    your operating system. If you are worried about free space on your hard
    drive, deleting a few empty folders that aren't in the root isn't going
    to recover a noticeable amount of space. "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX
    IT!!!". It's safer to leave the empties there.

    Have you tried deleting the unwanted folders in safe mode?

    RobertVA, Dec 23, 2006