    Re: Remote Desktop Connection - Fatal Error (Error Code: 5)
    Thanks for any help,

    Neil.

    NT, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Here are some options...

    1. As an administrator re-register Remote Desktop using the command that follows. Reboot the PC after doing
    this...

    regsvr32 remotepg.dll

    2. Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP. Note the warnings on the page.

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "NT" <> wrote in message news:%...
    I do not want to re-install the RDC client...

    I want to re-install / re-initiate the the software (terminal services?) on the machine that I am trying to connect to (an XP Pro machine).

    Is there a way of doing this / re-intialising the registry entries, etc without having to re-install XP from scratch? Or can XP be repaired so that it will fix such problems.

    My reason for asking is the problem I am having connecting to the XP Pro machine from either of my 2 laptops. See my post:

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 6, 2006

  3. NT

    NT Guest

    Al,

    Thanks for the reply:

    Tried 1 below (it executed the command ok). After rebooting, I still getting the same error I had previously when I try to connect to the PC with RDC. Repair installing windows could be next option but is a major hassle. Is there really no one who has had or can diagnose the 'Fatal Error: Error Code 5' error message I get?

    What else can I check before I repair install windows - any Registy entries worth looking at? I have 3 XP Pro machines (2 of which work perfectly with RDC connecting to them) so if I knew which entries in the Registry to look at I could look for differences between them. Any file versions to check? Any way to eliminate my graphics card as the problem?

    Neil.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 6, 2006