How to open two Excel files in separate windows?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by bastXXXette@sonic.net, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I can't figure out how to open two Excel files into *two separate
    application windows*. I do not mean opening two workbooks within the
    same app window. I know that I can switch between Excel workbooks by
    using the Window pull-down to select one that's not active. I also
    know that I can cascade or tile the workbooks within the Excel window,
    so I can see more than one workbook at a time. But that doesn't help
    me. What I want is to see two open applications on my desktop, each of
    which says "Microsoft Excel" in the upper-left corner.

    There are several reasons for this. First is that I'm switching among
    several different applications that are open on my desktop, and cutting
    & pasting data between them. So I have to be able to access files from
    different apps, not just from Excel. Second is that when I'm looking at
    one of the workbooks, I want the window to be large sized. But when I'm
    looking at the other one, I only need to see a couple of rows at a time.
    I'm also cutting text from another app and pasting it into those visible
    rows in Excel. I need both of those apps (Excel and the other one) to be
    visible on the screen. I'm continually resizing the Excel window,
    depending on which of the workbooks I'm using.

    Other applications don't work this way. For example, if I click on a PDF
    file, it launches an instance of Acrobat. If I click on a second PDF file,
    it launches another instance of Acrobat. I can have both open on the
    screen, they can be moved independently of one another, and they can be
    sized independently, all without having to block the entire desktop with
    a single application window for Acrobat. (However, if I prefer to view
    files in that way, that's an option.)

    I've searched through the Excel help files, but can't find anything that
    pertains to this. There is an item in the Window menu, "New Window", but
    that just opens a second copy of the active file, *within* the Excel
    window - not what I need.

    What is the setting for "Open new Excel files in separate window", and
    where is it??

    Running Excel 2002 on Windows XP 2002 SP3. No ridicule, please - this
    is at work and I don't control the budget. :)

    Thank you!

    J.

    , Jan 7, 2011

  2. joeu2004 Guest

    On Jan 6, 4:37 pm, wrote:
    > I can't figure out how to open two Excel files into *two
    > separate application windows*. I do not mean opening two
    > workbooks within the same app window.

    Although you could modify the Property sheet for Excel, I have found
    that unreliable and error-prone.

    The simplest way is to double-click on the Excel program icon, not the
    file icon. If you do not have an Excel program icon on your desktop,
    click on Run > Programs and click on Excel.

    In Excel, click on File > Open and select the file that you want to
    open.

    joeu2004, Jan 7, 2011

    joeu2004 wrote:

    > The simplest way is to double-click on the Excel program icon, not the
    > file icon. If you do not have an Excel program icon on your desktop,
    > click on Run > Programs and click on Excel.

    > In Excel, click on File > Open and select the file that you want to
    > open.

    Heh. Didn't even think of that. Sounds simple enough, thanks!

    J.

    --
    Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
    go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

    , Jan 7, 2011
  4. sunstar78

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    This was driving me nuts as well and I never tried you're easy fix. It works! Thank you joeu2004!

    sunstar78, Apr 25, 2014
  5. sunstar78

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2014