How to make a WIFI signal booster

How often do you check your router firmware for updates?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I saw this great but easy invention on YouTube.com a few weeks ago and I thought that it was one of the neatest things since velcro!

Its called the Windsurfer!

Its basically a homemade dish, that boosts your WIFI signal on your router, that way your laptop of what ever, picks up the signal a lot better and folks it does work!

I did not go and purchase this template myself, but the video gives you a picture of the template to build it yourself and that's what I did! I tried to download a picture of the template, but it said that the picture I had of the file was too big, so folks I will give you the link to check it out yourselves anyway.

What you will need to build it yourselves, is an old cereal box or something just as thin. You will also need aluminum foil, glue, tape, or a stapler (to secure the foil to the cut out). You will also need a pair of scissors and a hole punch, to make a hole in the dish supporter. Or you can use the sharp end of the scissors as well, as long as your careful and not cut your self!

You then just use the template to cut the cereal box or cardboard out in the shape of the template and glue, tape or staple the foil to the cut out box. You then use the hole punch, or the sharp end of the scissors, carefully, to make a hole in the dish support, that way the antenna of the router, slips into the hole, to secure the dish to the antenna and that's it.

It took me about an hour to build this dish, but it was kind of fun and you just slip the dish over your router antenna and point the dish to where your laptop is and it will help boosts the WIFI signal fairly well.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to my post.

http://www.Youtube.com (How to make a WiFi extender)

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice idea ... :thumb:

I have no need to update the 'Firmware' on my Router, it's BT, they do it automatically. :D

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post to make it easier to read. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Is Mucks ISP it seems

What happens if your laptop is down stairs?? Direct it through the ceiling or something

Reaction score
How to make a WIFI signal booster.

No GMan, its not necessary. The windsurfer broadens the signal range, so it gives you more range to use the computer in more spots. My son uses his laptop in the basement and it works fine. My daughter uses hers in the kitchen, two rooms away and they get a great signal.

Reaction score
How to improve your router signal

Also folks, another good tip that I have for you to improve your router signal, is what our supreme leader, Muckshifter said, make sure that your router firmware is up to date! Just like computers and other hardware, it needs updated with the newest firmware! In addition, if you want to try something a little risky, but will improve your router signal greatly, is to use 3rd party firmware! You have to know what you are doing to download it, but there are a lot of companies out there that have 3rd party firmware available for download! One site is DD-WRT.com, which has 3rd party firmware. So check on the computer, say Google and it will give you firmware sites that carry 3rd party firmware.

Reaction score
this is a very useful "innovation" especially for thick-walled buildings. getting a decent wifi signals (even if you have g or n) can be an itch oftentimes.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
mine don`t seem to work..mind you its Tesco value foil :) or as the yanks say - a_lume-i-num :nod:

Ask a Question